• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my PSU be crashing my System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Science

Basicly i recently i recently changed my PSU (My old psu was roughtly 600W+ i believe) and my new one iam not quite sure on the power of it althought it is not
as powerfull as my pervious PSU my problem is that when viewing the internet or running basic games 2d games its find i can leave my pc running 24/7 for weeks but when i try running a 3D game called Rising Force online after anywhere between 30min and 5hours time ingame my pc either freeze's the screen but i can still hear music in the background or it just hits a blue screen for afew mili seconds then reboots the grahpics card iam running is the 7800 GTX and iam using a Intel p4 prescott 3.8ghz any help would be great

(also iam unsure of what Watt my current psu is altho is there any way possible to find out the watts of this by looking at it or a computer program?)

Just take the side panel off your case, look at the PSU it will have a sticker on it that tells the wattage.

And look at the voltage rails on the PSU and post them. Also, it would be a good idea to check these things before you install/use them, as they are critical system components and attribute to the stability of your system.

Science said:
i try running a 3D game called Rising Force online after anywhere between 30min and 5hours time ingame my pc either freeze's the screen but i can still hear music in the background or it just hits a blue screen for afew mili seconds then reboots

Good God! I used to have this problem back in 2002 after I built another PC.
It sounds like the infinite loop crash problem. That's related to the video. It's more likely a driver bug.

Microsoft says that STOP: 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER is caused by a bug in the Nvidia video card drivers that come with Windows XP.

STOP: 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER is the dreaded infinite loop problem.

But I believe that the problem still can occur with Detonator and ForceWare drivers.

Back