• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLi PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(Clanger)(DOA)

WT Uberclox0r
Ok I know you going to tell me that the answer is somewhere in a sticky or something but i couldnt find it.

I bought 2 Pny Verto 6600STD's and i am going to run SLi Does My PSU have to be "SLi Certified" I plan on getting one its just i have to wait for i hath spenith my money. The down side of this is that i know i have kind of a cheapy PSU " RaidMax 450" From what i could see the motherboard has amolex connector that drives the SLi The Board is an Abit NI8-Sli

What is the diffrence PSU wise between a normal PSU and a "SLi"

Sorry for the stupid Q'S

An SLI certified PSU has the minimum power requirments and amps on the 12v line for both video cards. Also they have two PCIe power connectors for the vid cards.

CGR said:
An SLI certified PSU has the minimum power requirments and amps on the 12v line for both video cards. Also they have two PCIe power connectors for the vid cards.

Ok i found a Ultra / X-Finity / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Titanium Blue / Power Supply (ULT31846) for 35 bucks, i know that ultras are not the best but 35 bucks!

You do not want to go the cheap route for your PSU. Especially when using SLI.
My advice is do some research and get a quality PSU.

Well I thought that it would be a good deal since it is listed on the sticky "PSU buyers guide and How-to guide" As a crappy brand but a good model. and for $35 everywhere else it was $75

PSU's to Avoid for High Performance or OC'ed Systems:

Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Apex
Arrow,
Aspire > Dangerous! They don't even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!
Austin
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Duro
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech
Foxlink
Hercules
InWin (except FSP models)
JustPC
Key Mouse
Kingwin
L&C
Logic
Linkworld
Macron Power
MGE
Mustang
Okia
Power-Man (except FSP models)
Powmax
Power-Up
Powerstar
QMax
Qtec
q-tec
Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)
Real PC Power
Rhycon
Robanton
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Thermaltake (except the Thermaltake W0057 PurePower 500W)
TMP-ANS
Tsunami
Turbo
Turbolink
Ultra (except X2 & X-Finity)
US-Can
Viomax

$35 for any PSU is a good deal, however if the original price is $75 and no rebates lower the price to $35 then you may want to ask why its $35. Generally you dont see 50% off sales on PSU's.

If you want to run SLI without any issues as well as OC your system, make sure to get a stable PSU with good power.

I use an OCZ 520 SLI, however it is over $100.

CGR said:
$35 for any PSU is a good deal, however if the original price is $75 and no rebates lower the price to $35 then you may want to ask why its $35. Generally you dont see 50% off sales on PSU's.

Well I got the PSU on th cheap from a freind whom owns a parts shop, it was the only one that was even close to being on the list decribed above. I know i need good power. I also need good money. So a seasonic s-12 600w will have to wait. All I wanted to know is this is an "OK" powersupply. From Somone whom has had one.

Don't waste money on a huge psu, your two 6600's won't outperform one 6800gt, which can be had for about the price of some of the better sli psu's out there.

thefranklin said:
Don't waste money on a huge psu, your two 6600's won't outperform one 6800gt, which can be had for about the price of some of the better sli psu's out there.

SLi in a nut shell by lonewolf121188 said:
The million dollar question: 2x 6600s or 1x 6800GT?
This is the question I've seen the most. As you can see from the charts above, 2x 6600s beat a single 6800GT (and even an Ultra!) consistently without AA and AF, but a 6800GT beats the 6600s with said eye candy. Also, with the 6800GT, you have the option of adding another one down the road, but with 2x 6600s, you don't. This one is up to you.

You see i found 2 new in box verto 6600sdt's for $100 could you pass that up?
ha

Check out my sticky on SLI in the nVidia section for a bit on power requirements...I may have to expand that section a bit though. You will probably be fine with your Ultra...heck, I was running an X2 and 2x6800GTs, all OCed, off of one Aspire 500W PSU, and it worked decently. Another options (what I did) is to have two PSUs. Its not nearly as hard as you think, and works pretty well. I have 800W available to my system now!

LoneWolf121188 said:
Check out my sticky on SLI in the nVidia section for a bit on power requirements...I may have to expand that section a bit though. You will probably be fine with your Ultra...heck, I was running an X2 and 2x6800GTs, all OCed, off of one Aspire 500W PSU, and it worked decently. Another options (what I did) is to have two PSUs. Its not nearly as hard as you think, and works pretty well. I have 800W available to my system now!

Yeah i was reading on that and it looks really simple, I will do it if i have problems. But where to i put that extra PSU Mount it on top of my case. I'll figure somthing out. Great Stickys BTW. Very informative.

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
Yeah i was reading on that and it looks really simple, I will do it if i have problems. But where to i put that extra PSU Mount it on top of my case. I'll figure somthing out. Great Stickys BTW. Very informative.
Thank you!

I stuck my slave PSU in my 5.25 bays. It takes up about 1.5 bays and is just slightly wider than the bays themselves, so I kinda had to shove it in there to get it to fit, but it works!

mantralord said:
A Seasonic 380W could do SLI, regardless of what you all may think.
Probably could, but it could not run a high-end CPU, or your AMD antler CPU.... He need a big powerful PSU like the PC Power & Cooling 510 to be overkill and waste power.

RangerXLT8 said:
Probably could, but it could not run a high-end CPU, or your AMD antler CPU.... He need a big powerful PSU like the PC Power & Cooling 510 to be overkill and waste power.

Scratch that I'm gonna need at least 1kw for my Munchkin RAM.

Back