• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

805 vs 631 vs 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aibo

Registered
Which would everyone choose? For some reason I'm leaning towards 631, but I guess it would be smarter to get dual core even though it's not all that much more useful..yet.

OC a cedar mill would be fast, yes? Faster then 920? The 805 seems so inferior.

920 would be my choice if they're still around? I thought they've been removed from the map already and the 930s dropped to their price. Anyway, 920/930 is better dual core for not much more than the 805. 65m instead of 90nm, 800FSB instead of 533, 2x2M L2 cache instead of 2M, etc.

The 631 won't hold a candle to the 920 in just about anything.

Yes, everyone here is giving you good advice. The guy above me suggests waiting for Conroe, which is the basic response to "I am upgrading now..."

No, but I've never seen it rise above 60% except for burn in and benches. This was an upgrade from p4 non-ht 130 nm technology, so for me, it's blazing fast

ross has run pressler and cedarmill and perfers pressler.

And for waiting, If you have something to be able to get by waiting for Conroe gives you more options, the current chips are getting a price cut when it's released. So you can get a E6XXX or a cheaper 9XX :D

ross has run pressler and cedarmill and perfers pressler.

This really brings up the point that dual core isn't always better than single.. although it's getting to the point in which it is. I have an 805 rig as of now and to be honest I find myself gravitating towards my 524 box jsut as much.

Looking for guinea pigs :D

Is there anyone out there who actually has a 805 CPU that is overclocked? If so then how do you compare to Tom's Hardware's results?

I have a 805, but I need to wait until I can overclock.... I want to upgrade to a DDR2 mobo and memory before I try anything. It kicks my old Celerons *** though. If you have the money go for the 9xx series since they are 65nm. Unless you only have a mobo that is compatable with the 820 and under. That's why I went with the 805. The 820 scares me. Also, I hope you have your own Heatsink/Fan. The one they give you sucks balls, and you may end up just shooting the thing for breaking your thumbs. I threw mine into a street :)

All I have to say is be careful of VRM overheating on 805 overclocks. The area around my VRMs on my mobo turned brown after a while due to the extreme heat. I have since put ram sinks on them and switched to the Blue Orb II cooler as opposed to the Scythe Ninja and things are fine now. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I was debating this choice as well and settled on the 930 being the pick of the bunch...

But the debate now is whether to wait for conroe! :D

Back