• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe, Intel in AMD and AMD in Intel [READ THIS]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Conroe is coming next month, as 90% of people with three or more brain cells and a pair of eyes knows. It's supposedly fast - how fast is debatable.

Some Intel users have been mentioning Conroe in AMD threads, often as an option when people ask what new CPU to get. That's fair enough - if the poster hasn't ruled out an Intel setup thats fine, it helps the member by giving them another option.

There are problems however. Some Intel fanboys take it upon themselves to turn every AMD thread they can into a Conroe flamewar, arguing back and forth the same arguments that have been argued a zillion times before. This is not acceptable and I, and other moderators, will take action against members who continually troll threads with Conroe this Conroe that turning each thread into meaningless penis-waving about who has the faster processor due out soon.

To summarise:

Intel users/fans/fanboys - don't troll every AMD thread with GO CONROE. If someone has mentioned it as an option there is no need to repeat the same answer. Likewise if the thread STARTS to turn into an AMD vs Conroe debate then simply post a link to a thread -on the subject of AMD vs Conroe- and leave it out of the thread you posted in.

AMD users/fans/fanboys - I'm not sure if the AMD crowd have been trolling Intel threads but I'll say this anyway. I will hold you to the same standards as I expect of Intel users. Do not troll Conroe threads, do not turn every mention of Conroe into a debate. If the thread takes a turn towards X vs Conroe then find a thread about X vs Conroe, post a link, and continue the discussion in the X vs Conroe thread. If there is a post asking what system to go with in the Intel section do not spam it up with OMG GO AMD. If the OP hasn't ruled out AMD then feel free to mention it if someone else hasn't.

To all: Remember. People post asking what system to get in an AMD section because the likely would rather use AMD. Likewise a member who asks about what CPU to get in the Intel section has likely already settled on Intel. There is no point trying to force another CPU manufacturer on them - mention it and LEAVE IT BE.

We are all here to share knowledge and push the limits of Overclocking. Lets be friendly about it, ok?

Read, understand, bump. Comment if you wish.

Intel users/fans/fanboys - don't troll every AMD thread with GO CONROE. If someone has mentioned it as an option there is no need to repeat the same answer.
But it was OK to spam every Intel thread with "GO AMD" back 6 months ago.

Fair enough, We Intel users have something to give them a taste of their "own" medicine, yet we get warned before even the beats gets out. Very hypocritical IMO. Pathetic to see an amd fanboy warning us though, don't want a taste of your "own" medicine? I hear ya.

Good thing I haven't ever been in the AMD CPU section. I'm a die hard intel fan so there would be no use in me going in there anyway.

I disagree on one point. Someone may post in the AMD section because they haven't heard of Conroe, and only know that 5 years ago AMD was the processor to get. The same may go for the Intel section that the only processor they know of, through Dell, is the Intel processor. Or that a salesman of some retail store told them bad information about either.

However I must agree with your aproach. Once it has been mentioned, and linked to a discussion about such, the point it made. It doesn't require the entire forum's approval of "You should wait for Conroe" or "You should get an FX-62." It only takes a mentioning.

May I suggest a sticky dedicated to the AMD vs Intel debate. <-- Note debate, and not arguement.

I have always believed that brand loyalty is worthless and only provides stock holders with good results.

Nasgul said:

Fair enough, We Intel users have something to give them a taste of their "own" medicine, yet we get warned before even the beats gets out. Very hypocritical IMO. Pathetic to see an amd fanboy warning us though, don't want a taste of your "own" medicine? I hear ya.

6 months ago I wasn't heavily moderating CPU sections. Now I am.

Your post is rather offensive - I am not an AMD fanboy :rolleyes: and if the best response you can come up with is "they did it to us 6 months ago so why cant we troll their section!" then I'd really rather you hadn't posted in my thread.

Tserrof said:
Long live the fanboy.

To explain how I define fan/fanboy - the fan is the Intel user who likes Intel and will say as such. The fanboy is the problematic one who will cause trouble and flamewars and pointless arguments over every little detail, while completely closing off their mind so they are not receptive to new arguments or benchmarks or indeed any proof that people provide.

Fanboys do not have a place here.

Captain Helghas said:
I disagree on one point. Someone may post in the AMD section because they haven't heard of Conroe, and only know that 5 years ago AMD was the processor to get. The same may go for the Intel section that the only processor they know of, through Dell, is the Intel processor. Or that a salesman of some retail store told them bad information about either.

However I must agree with your aproach. Once it has been mentioned, and linked to a discussion about such, the point it made. It doesn't require the entire forum's approval of "You should wait for Conroe" or "You should get an FX-62." It only takes a mentioning.

May I suggest a sticky dedicated to the AMD vs Intel debate. <-- Note debate, and not arguement.

I have always believed that brand loyalty is worthless and only provides stock holders with good results.

This is why i am not wanting to ban all mention of "the C word" in the AMD section. If the OP hasn't considered Conroe and you believe it fits their needs then by all means mention it. Also by linking to an appropriate Conroe thread you allow the OP to read more and explore the arguments for and against without turning that thread itself into a fanboy flamewar. If several members all start posting "wait for Conroe" then it's likely to rouse the AMD fanboys who are just as bad at causing problems.

I agree with David on this one - advising a wait for conroe is at this stage sensible in some instances, even if only so that someone wanting amd can enjoy the price drops amd are bringing to counter the effect of conroe...but some folks take it past this point and use it as ecuse to flame and bash products on either side.
intel section users have gotten tired of amd folks bashing the 9xx dual core series, amd section users dont like the look of conroe and the resulting intel-ism for the same reason...

The two sections have of late become slightly off topic due to this...a well moderated discussion thread about the two may work...but it all depends on how sensible people are willing to be. As for flaming mods, bearing in mind theyve been promoted to such a position for fairness in such matters in the first place.....

On the plus side the amd/intel sections havent quite gone as daft as the console fanboy wars in the gaming section...but theyre getting there :p

Nasgul said:

If you want to give them a "taste of their 'own' medicine", you'll get a short vacation, how's that for fairness? :rolleyes:

i read both sections pretty regularly, and i must say, this is a bigger problem in the Intel section than it is in the AMD section. not naming names...

and *bump*

I don't see any posts being reported, therefore, there is no problem.

If you guys don't report anything, nothing WILL happen.

i usually don't report because i never see anything happen as a result (not that i expect to get detailed info, i think that's between the mod handling it and the offender). i've reported someone only to have them continue in the very same thread. i would expect now that these warnings have been laid out that there won't be any problems, but should there be, i'll report in the future.

p.s. cw823 LOL you gotta lotta posts!! :p

Maybe I'll wait until Conroe comes out, we'll do benchies, and whatever chip mfgr. wins takes over the forums, and we wipe out all other references to other chip mfgrs.

Or maybe not.

/me may have added a few posts to his post count.

For those of you that were around in the days when Springdale/Canterwood and the P4C's made their debut, well, this is just history repeating itself. New product releases always cause a lot of friction between the aficionados (note I didn't use the F word! :p).

So sit back and enjoy the ride that both AMD and Intel are giving us, and discuss both platforms courteously.

I fully agree with Captain Helghas. 3 years ago, I joined an AMD fanboy (and remain one) so I purchased one without thinking too hard. I would've appreciated it it if someone posted a headsup in the AMD section back then posting the merits of the P4's...if I were better educated, that's the choice I would've taken for sure looking back. I wouldn't have wanted Intel "forced" onto me, but it would've been nice for someone to straight up say that they were the better performer without me having to learn it the hard way after the fact.

We're here to help people make the best, most informed decisions which fit their needs the best. Twisting the truth on either side isn't helping anyone and certainly detracts from that goal.

I just go where the performance is!

I never understood fanboys, it's not like they are getting paid by the company to remain their loyal fans :shrug:

RangerXLT8 said:
Good thing I haven't ever been in the AMD CPU section. I'm a die hard intel fan so there would be no use in me going in there anyway.

Me too! My Intel E-P**** is just too Big, and it will never fit in to an AMD forum.

So why cant i say "penis"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back