• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B is backwards compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Just realized that a Pentium D will work in the new P5B series of boards. With the upcoming price drop from Intel I might just go with a 65nm Pentium D and then grab a Conroe later on after the dust has settled and the first line has rolled out. What do you guys think?

On one hand, it's a good idea. You get to see what the consensus is and decide later.

On the other, you have to shell out for two processors...and the conroe processor's are only weeks away.

I'd wait.

AFAIK, all of the new boards are going to be backwards compatible. If you want to buy a 775 chip to hold you over until you can make an informed decision on Conroe I would buy a cheap used chip, a cheap celeron, or a single core chip once the price drop comes (e.g. 631). It will hold you over and you won't have to shell out tons of money.

dreamtfk said:
Just realized that a Pentium D will work in the new P5B series of boards. With the upcoming price drop from Intel I might just go with a 65nm Pentium D and then grab a Conroe later on after the dust has settled and the first line has rolled out. What do you guys think?

Newegg has 930 for like 170.00.

Back