• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting owned...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exige

Okay, so a few days ago, I downloaded a sketchy kinda program, and of course it was a virus, like I had suspected, but I opened it anyways, figuring if it had been a virus, I'd be able to kill it no problem, since I can usually remove viruses easily from my computer with no problems.

So, I run it and of course, my Norton starts freaking out, "Your computer is infected!"

Then all of a sudden, it starts a pop up box that says "Scanning message 1 of 1" and then it starts popping up ten more times, and just keeps going, and then more starts popping up saying things like "There is no user named [email protected]" and it just keeps going, making hundreds of these messages.

So I restarted it in safe mode, scanned it with Norton, got a few things, deleted/quarinteened them, whatever. Restart it normally, keeps at it. So restart it in safe mode again, scan the registry, and it pops up a few more things, I delete those too. Restart again, and my computer seems to be fine.

Two days later, I'm in the middle of typing something, when all of a sudden, BAM, the pop ups start all over again. "Scanning message 1 of 1" I scan it again with Norton, and it picks up the same file that I had downloaded to start all this... guess where it is? The recycling bin, wewt for me being a noob.

So, I delete it, but the pop ups keep going, scan the system again with Norton, nothing shows. I scan it with Xoftspy, gets me a few things, then I still get the pop ups. I've used 6 different antiviruses to get this thing to stop, but it just won't. I can't figure out what to do now, I feel like I have tried everything.

Anyone who could give me some tips or tricks, the advice would be extremly helpful. Thank you a bunch.

Sorry, Exige, but the Cap'n is right on this one.

You could try using another AV like AVG and see if you're lucky, but once your OS/AV has been compromised the only sure way to be rid of the issues is a reformat. Backup what you can/need if you haven't already, reformat and reinstall.

hafa said:
Sorry, Exige, but the Cap'n is right on this one.

You could try using another AV like AVG and see if you're lucky, but once your OS/AV has been compromised the only sure way to be rid of the issues is a reformat. Backup what you can/need if you haven't already, reformat and reinstall.

Alright, well, that's the last time I do something dumb like that again, haha.

Anyways, my computer could really use a reformat. But I'd really like to save things like my photos, and stuff, if I burn those onto a CD, do you think there is a chance those could be infected? Because I've never had to reformat due to a virus before.

be careful you don't accidently backup the malware either. In anycase, you might also want to scan for a rootkit installation. Something that a normal reformant might not be able to take care of.

EDIT* Exige.. you type too fast.

Tserrof said:
be careful you don't accidently backup the malware either. In anycase, you might also want to scan for a rootkit installation. Something that a normal reformant might not be able to take care of.

EDIT* Exige.. you type too fast.

Haha, sorry about typing fast.
=D

Okay, so I just disabled Norton from starting up, so I don't get all those pop ups, so I can actually do things with my computer. Just to back up my files quickly.

Backup everything you need, reformat, but scan the backup CD/DVD's you made before putting stuff back on.

Centurion said:
Backup everything you need, reformat, but scan the backup CD/DVD's you made before putting stuff back on.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing.

I'm going to have to order another hard drive too, because damn, I never thought that 120 gigs, just wouldn't be enough...

It's good to make seperate partitions, one for the OS and program files another for all your stuff that you need backed up, like music, movies, etc. That way it is easier to format. Just something to keep in mind.

Also too, from my experiences, Norton seems to be an AV that just tells you that you got a virus and you're screwed and can't do anything about it. I much prefer AVG since it will detect a virus if you are browsing in the directory that it's in and it will let you know so you don't open it. Norton prolly does the same thing, but it's so much of a resourse hog that it prolly never detects anything in time, I don't know about it.

Norton = Blows
AVG = :)

Man I never trust any anti-virus to "clean" my computer. I check msconfig, certain registry locations, win.ini, system.ini, services and all open network connections using TCPTOOL. Granted, I will run scans to find infected files, never would I trust it to rid me of a virus.

It's good to make seperate partitions, one for the OS and program files another for all your stuff that you need backed up, like music, movies, etc. That way it is easier to format. Just something to keep in mind.
Fromatting is never necessary. never. Well, the first time you install of course, but never again

Well that's assuming you know enough about windows and viruses and so on.

Sometimes it's just worth it to format. I usually do it every 1-2 years just because stuff can get so cluttered.

Centurion said:
Norton = Blows
AVG = :)

Man I never trust any anti-virus to "clean" my computer. I check msconfig, certain registry locations, win.ini, system.ini, services and all open network connections using TCPTOOL. Granted, I will run scans to find infected files, never would I trust it to rid me of a virus.

you state norton sucks and AVG is good, but you also say that you dont trust any antivirus to clean your computer so whats the point in making that distinction w/o giving reasons? let alone the fact you say none are trustworthy at serving thier purpose.

Back