• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcll2002

I think i should tell you my rig before i start asking questions...

DFI ultra d
opty 165 @ 2.8ghz
2gb ocz @ 270mhz
74gb raptor
7900gt
ect

do you think that 2x 120mm rad is necessary? or just 1x 120mm rad?

Also, later when quad core and dx10 comes out ill be changing the cpu and gfx, will i only need to change the blocks?

Also, Im looking for a relatively cheap kit to cool my cpu and gpu. I dont want to go custom because 1) I dont want to mod my case 2) I dont really know what im doing that much.

I was looking at these kits (btw specs of my rig are in sig):

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-62.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-76.html with http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-286.html but thats too expensive for me

Obviously, I want to stay as cheap as possible. Even $250 is pushing it for me. Any recommendations?

Also, I want to cool same if not better than my zalman 9500 which cools my opty 165 @ 2.7 idling at 30c. My ambient is 23c

IMPORTANTLY, what is the difference between a custom setup and a kit in terms of what I will have to do? I mean, what kind of construction will I have to do that I wont with a kit? Just no directions?

Last edited:
if ya have to have a kit go swiftech thats almost what a custom kit would comprise of anyway. Build wise you'd have to do the same either way mounting blocks connecting tubing finding the best loop setup for your needs priming the pump doing a leek test. I guess the fact that you'd get a good instruction manual would help with a kit if your not confident about the first install. Add the mcw60 later if your budget is tight although that means emptying your loop and refilling unless you use in line valves. your temps will defiantly be better than air especially your gpu temp. Idle cpu might not seam to improve that much but load is where the big difference comes. As for rads defiantly go 2x120 if your adding your gpu to the loop or maybe 3x120 future proof for your quad core.

EDIT: re changing blocks i doubt it swiftch at least make replacement adapters for different systems and will carry on doing so for future upgrades
--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm blind in my left ear so don't shout i wont see you
--------------------------------------------------------------

Ops forgot Welcome to the forums :))

Last edited:
My thread might be helpful, just to show you how I routed my system.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=463344

Pump

Waterblocks - At the bottom of the page, select "Add an MCW60 VGA block and 8 Ramsinks" (for your video card)

Radiator - Any of the GT series will give good performance for it's price. There are better radiators, but these are a good value. I went with the 360, but you'll be fine with a 240, or maybe 2x 120's, if tubing routing would be easier that way.

Tubing - Good quality tubing is really worth it. Bad stuff is really stiff, or kinks really easily. You can probably find it cheaper at MCMaster.

Others will probably disagree with me, but I think 3/8" is probably better for a first time WC'er. I found 1/2" tubing was hard to work with at times, because it was so darn big.

By looking at your components you have a lot invested in your computer. Would you trust that many dollars spent on a cheap setup? I agree that the Swiftech kit is the better choice.

Buy quality once and it will serve you well. JMO

well, I guess Ill use a custom loop.

Using the products you speced out, that would run me almost $300. Can you help config one that would be $<250?

jcll2002 said:

Using the products you speced out, that would run me almost $300. Can you help config one that would be $<250?

He has everything but tubing there for $224.89. The tubing he has is extremely expensive. I'd go with some masterkleer or clearflex from McMaster-Carr. I know off hand that MasterKleer 7/16" is $.37/ft. I'm sure 3/8" is roughly the same price. Also, get like, 15-20 ft at most. You'll also need clamps, those are cheap at McMaster as well.

jcll2002 said:

This is what I would buy today if I was going to do it over.

1) MP-05 SP LE CPU Waterblock
2) MP-1 GPU Water Block
3) Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump 12V Ultra, AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive Inline 12V Pump or Laing D5 pump
4) PA120.3 rad with (3) Yate Loons or MCR-320 "Quiet Power" series Radiator or BIPro III rad with (3) Yate Loons in a "pull" configuration.
5) 1/2" Tygon R3603 or 7/16" Tygon R-3603 tubing
6) Plastic tube clamps (18) need some spares.
7) 1/2 plastic Tee for "T-line"
8) 1/2 Delrin fill-port
9) Ramsinks for vid ram
10) Your favorite beverage to celebrate your new system!

Mixture: 95% Distilled water, 4.8% VW (Pentosine-blue) antifreeze, 1 cap Water Wetter, 4-5 drops non-alcohol iodine. JMO

I think I would want a res to make it easier to bleed because this is my first time.

That res looks really nice.

OK, what else do i need?

CPU block- Swiftech Apogee Extreme ($45)
gpu block- Swiftech MCW60 + ram sinks ($55)
tubing- idk yet. What size should the OD and ID be for the components I have selected?
pump- Swiftech MCP350 ($75. Worth getting one that expensive?)
res- Swiftech MCRES-MICRO ($20)
rad- Black Ice GT Stealth 240 XFlow ($55)
fans- 2x yate loon 120mm ($8)
liquid- Dont really know what to get
What else?

$258 I would probably want to even cheaper than that...

Last edited:
There are 2 Versions of the DDC (MCP-350), a 10w and an 18w. The 18 is a tad more powerful, but also a bit more noisy. I went wioth the 10w version, but now that I have it, I figure its such a quiet pump that the 18w is probably inaudible too. You could also get the D5 for about the same price. Its a larger pump that will have a higher flowrate in low-restriction systems (the 350 catches up in restrictive systems).

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=175&cat=23&page=1

Other than that, you don't really need anything.

EDIT: Ohh, right, additives. A bit of antifreeze and some biocide will take care of everything nicely, but I'm currently using PC-ICE and it works very well too.

Is there any component that Im clearly paying too much for in terms of the other components i have selected? Do pumps normally run that high? Are there any that are cheaper that perform close to that?

I dont need to get any clamps or anything like that? What size hosing should I get to fit the blocks and other things i have selected? I guess Im just trying to cut down the price.

Also, what should I do about my chipset? Its pretty loud. I guess Ill just use this. http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/vc-re.html

jcll2002 said:
Is there any component that Im clearly paying too much for in terms of the other components i have selected? Do pumps normally run that high? Are there any that are cheaper that perform close to that?

I dont need to get any clamps or anything like that? What size hosing should I get to fit the blocks and other things i have selected? I guess Im just trying to cut down the price.

Also, what should I do about my chipset? Its pretty loud. I guess Ill just use this. http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/vc-re.html

Do you mean chipset as in northbridge or chipset as in GPU chipset? You linked to a GPU fan....

bLack0ut said:
Do you mean chipset as in northbridge or chipset as in GPU chipset? You linked to a GPU fan....
nb... that one in the link works with my particular mobo and its chipset for some reason.

jcll2002 said:
That res looks really nice.

OK, what else do i need?

CPU block- Swiftech Apogee Extreme ($45)
gpu block- Swiftech MCW60 + ram sinks ($55)
tubing- idk yet. What size should the OD and ID be for the components I have selected?
pump- Swiftech MCP350 ($75. Worth getting one that expensive?)
res- Swiftech MCRES-MICRO ($20)
rad- Black Ice GT Stealth 240 XFlow ($55)
fans- 2x yate loon 120mm ($8)
liquid- Dont really know what to get
What else?

$258 I would probably want to even cheaper than that...
This is worth the extra money. IMO
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=173

And this might be a better pump choice...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4508

That block is probably a better choice, yes, but you save a bunch of money on the GPU block if you get the Apogee. Also, the pump SIGfever linked to is actually the same pump I linked to, only with a different top. You can buy that sepperately later if you want some added power.

So there is nothing I can cut down on to lower the price? (I want the res ;))

thanks hafa

Back