• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP... or... thoroughbred

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmIdYfReAk

Registered
ok, i know i posted about the same question... but i am RILLY thinking.... the Athlon XP's Run HOT.. and i know the thoroughbred will have the .13 Core.. and that would make it run Much Cooler... now should i wait or should i Crack and Buy a XP 1800+?

Current Setup
Celeron 500 ( Not o/c'd )
PowerCooler HSF ** dont know that model #, but its PURe coper.. and it has a Delta fan on it..w/ articsilverII **
416 megs pc-133
yamaha 20X10X40X
Pioneer 16X DvD
MSI 815PRO
Kyro 2 64meg
SB Live 5.1
Linksys 10/100 Nic
Hydrolic Mid tower 320Watt PSU

The xp's run cooler than the t-bird did.
Its very possible a thoroughbred will not work on your current motherboard.

What should you buy is up to you, if you are looking to buy a cpu before march then the xp will probably be your only choice between a xp or thoroughbred.

thoroughbred?

What is the thoroughbred all about? Who is it made by and how fast will it be? thanks

i know ill need a new mobo.. evin if i went with the XP i would Still need a new mobo... :)

but i was thinking that it would be an overall beter Chip, witht the Smaller Core and the Higher Speed's and thell probally imporve in the SSE and 3dNOW support....

i was just trying to go get anouther opinion.....

thanks..

Re: thoroughbred?

tacos said:
What is the thoroughbred all about? Who is it made by and how fast will it be? thanks

Thoroughbred is the next generation of chips due out after the Palamino, and AMD, is the maker.

After that, comes the Hammers... (Sledge, and Claw). I kid you not...those really are the names (If you don't know this already).

Let me go dig out the "roadmap link" from AMD...BRB ;)

Here it is; http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_608,00.html

This is what's in the pipeline from AMD. Good stuff! :D

Last edited:
I, for one, would hope that the T-Bred works on motherboards that support the XP.... I know it'll be socket A packaging, but there's always the possibility of a situation like the one now with the KT7A Raid of versions 1.2 and lower. To me, since the T-Bred is AMD's last 32 BIT CPU, for them to produce it and require that users buy a new mobo would not make sense with Hammer on the horizon. People will have to upgrade motherboards to run Hammer, so why make them upgrade to run a T-Bred? To me it sounds like shooting yourself in the foot. Say we're X months in the future. I'm running an XP 2000+ CPU overclocked to 2 GHz on a KT333 mobo. My computer runs fast just fine. I say "well, since hammer is six months from now, and it's 64 bit, I'll just wait rather than buy a TBred and a new mobo, since I will be buying a new mobo when Hammer comes out anyway." Makes zero sense to me.

This is all pretty irrelevant to me, though. As soon as I see some reviews and some availability on a dual socket A board with overclocking options, I'll be buying... looking to be either the Epox M762A, Asus A7M266-D or the MSI right now. That'll be the core of my system to tide me over until Hammer arrives.

SickBoy

yes, well... i am on the system that i listed at the beggining of this thread.. and i ger Zero power in games and Sutch.....

but in turn you are saying wait for the hammer to be relesed..??
but thats over a year away!!!! i dont think i have that much patents...

well thanks for all of your advice...

Back