• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1800XT + BF2 = 2GB of Ram a Necessity????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4432

i recently switched over to an asus pci-e board and picked up a x1800xt 256MB card to replace a nf3 gigabyte agp board with a x800xtpe. with the agp/x800xtpe setup i could easily keep total ram usage under 1GB if the machine idled at ~240MB, i was very serious about this and even created the site in my sig. a lot of my friends took my advice as to not buy an extra GB of ram because at the time i created the site, 2GB was pretty expensive.

NOW, i get this new setup, the machine still idles at ~240MB but when gaming using the exact same settings, including resolutions (1280x960 or 1280x1024) and having everything in the ccc set to performance and a lot of enhancing features turned off, i am hitting 1.2-1.4GB all the time now watching my hdd led stay lit up for some time, to the point of frame stuttering. i can hit over 9000 in 3dmark05, but stutter in bf2......( i know it is hitting the pagefile...)

what does the x1800xt do to make this game require so much more ram? also another 2 friends just upgraded to a 7900gt and 7900gtx (even running at 1280x720), and their ram usage went through the roof using the settings i had researched and suggested that kept us all under 1GB with the x800xtpe, 6600gts in sli and 6800gts and ultras.

I think it might of been a flaw reading it because my buddy had 1 gig of ram and was all yea i dont need it blah blah blah and then he got some money and i convinced him to get 2gigs and he has never looked back, so glad he did, and every person who has switched to 2gigs of ram for BF2 will back that up that it did wonders for them and there performance. So i would definently get 2gigs if i were you, plus for future proof games and whatnot, i have 2 gigs coming in my new AM2 rig. :D

Oh just one other thing, i would always put your graphic card video quality to the highest quality and then adjust your games settings, just my 2 cents.

there were no errors reading it, i can guarantee you that as i must have read over 100 readings myself on my old rig after gaming before i put my stuff up. i have talked to people that use 2GB with a x800xtpe on the settings i suggest in my site and they are under 1GB.

if i turned up any quality, then more ram usage....i do have 2GB coming to me and it should be here by either friday or monday, i just would like to know what additional enhancements are going requiring the additional ram.

Im the opposite, I love high quality settings as I snipe alot and the clearer my picture the better I see you. 2 Gigs does help alot and if you consider going to Vista in the future 2 gigs will be required.

2GB is on the way and i have no problems using it up :), i am just surprised that swapping out the gpu made such a ram usage difference

Yes you need 2GB to play BF2. Get 2GB load up BF2 and you see that it uses 1GB of the ram when you get in a game. If you only have 1GB you start using virtual memory to handle the excess which causes pauses, jittering, and slow downs.

I think that some of these games are more ram dependent vs video card because you can get away with playing bf2 on an older card if you have enough ram. I played it just fine with a older 6800gt but I suffered until I upgraded my ram. Now some of the new games out like fear, graw etc, are actually vid card dependent as well. :beer:

vixro said:
Yes you need 2GB to play BF2. Get 2GB load up BF2 and you see that it uses 1GB of the ram when you get in a game. If you only have 1GB you start using virtual memory to handle the excess which causes pauses, jittering, and slow downs.

like i said in my original post, i had bf2 with my x800xtpe having a total computer ram usage of ~960MB, total, not just the game. same setting with with the x1800xt = 1.2-1.4GB total ram usage.

this is the site i am referring to and the settings i was using, look at the 960MB one, that is total computer usage, not just bf2

Instead of reading theories and random tests that perhaps are flawed in some ways to some extant. Just borrow 1gig from a friend and try the game with 2 gigs of ram.

Every one told you that 2gigs is better. So stop talking and get things done.

Other wise we can talk about this and that for the next decade.

UglyChild said:
Instead of reading theories and random tests that perhaps are flawed in some ways to some extant. Just borrow 1gig from a friend and try the game with 2 gigs of ram.

Every one told you that 2gigs is better. So stop talking and get things done.

Other wise we can talk about this and that for the next decade.

these are not theories, and like a i said a couple of threads up higher 2GB is on the way. i did the tests myself numerous times as i am the author of the above mentioned site and there were not errors in my readings.

i am just wondering what the newer gen cards do that require the extra ram.

i know 2GB is better now that i am hitting over 2GB.

Sir. BOBSONATOR said:
One gig has always been fine for me, unless you are running a bunch of baloney on in the background.

i will say it again, my machine idles @ ~240MB, with my x800xtpe i could run the exact same settings i am running with my x1800xt, with my x800xtpe i would be under 1GB total usage, with my x1800xt i am @ 1.2-1.4GB total usage even though i am still idling @ ~240MB......

Hey Bob,

It seems everyone is missing the point of your question >.>

I find it odd that with that better Video card you now need more RAM...
Unfortunatelly I have no answer for you.

My only guess, is for some reason those cards need more usage of teh ram, but as to why.. I am at a loss.

Might want to contact the makers of BF2 -- at work can't think of it of it At the moment, and see if they are aware of this odd issue.

Last edited:
i was able to lower ram usage by ~65MB by getting rid of ccc 6.5 and using omega 6.5s with ati tray / ati tool.....amazing that ccc takes that much ram

I went from 1gig to 2gig for BF2 and i am 100% happy with the switch. If you look under battlefields requirements it says in small print "You need a computer on steriods to run." Most people miss this but i assure you its true.

With 2 gigs i get no more studd-dd-dder and i am the first one loaded to the map :)

bob4432 said:
i was able to lower ram usage by ~65MB by getting rid of ccc 6.5 and using omega 6.5s with ati tray / ati tool.....amazing that ccc takes that much ram

Ya if you kill CCC it frees up some ram. But if it doesn't fully load in the background when windows starts it takes a little ram up, but if you open it up, its over it will chew ram up. I'm still using my 6.3's and waiting for omega's 6.6's currently.

Next question would be is your Ram usage for the videocard in the bios the same to when you had your old card? It shouldn't make that much of a difference but who knows.

As for why it would just eat more ram up out of the blue? Maybe the game reconnizes the better card and its not turning down the settings? Does AA at 4x and 6x still act similar to what was done in your original tests?

BTW, you'll enjoy the 2gigs your getting. I stepped over the line when I played EQ2 when it first came out. I never looked back since and havn't havn't really pushed it unless I was doing 3D Rendering. When Vista comes we'll see how far it really pushes 2gigs because right now 1gig would be a bear minimum with everything turned on.

Back