• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scraptop advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mustwarnothers

hey OCers, I need some advice/suggestions on what I should do with my broken laptop. I have a Fujitsu N3410 with a broken LCD.. the screen cracked and now about 15% of the 15.4'' screen has blacked out (in a nice spiderweb design, I should add). I've considered buying a replacement screen from the manufacturer, but it costs almost as much as I paid for the damn thing! It's been collecting dust until I came across an article about mobos for Pentium M's.. so now I want to convert it into something useful (HTPC or something). But before I do so, I want to know..

-can any of you can suggest a good (OC-able, PCI-e equipped, etc) replacement mobo?

-is there any way to get the accompanying restore DVD to work on a different hardware config? It came with a proprietary Windows MCE 2005 that only works for the laptop. The DVD seems to contain a drive image. The laptop also came with an applications and drivers CD that restores the apps/drivers that came stock with the laptop, helps at all.

-aside from the CPU, what else can I salvage from the laptop? I'm sure I can find something for the HDD, but what about the cd-rw/dvd-rom drive, mobo, PCMCIA slot, multi-card reader, IR remote, so-dimm memory? I just don't want to see working parts go to waste..

-Ideally, there exists an enclosure or something similar (excluding purchasing a new monitor or laptop case) which would allow me to use the existing hardware and configuration. Is there such a thing? Links?

Heres the specs for the laptop (from the Fujitsu website; edited for correctness):

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
Chipset: Intel® 915GM
Memory: Two DIMM slots; max 2 GB (1 GB x 2); DDR2 533 MHz PC2-4200, Dual channel2
Display: LCD 15.4" Crystal View wide XGA TFT display; brightness 300 nits; contrast ratio 500:1

Video Controller: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 ; Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) responds to application requirements and efficiently allocates the proper amount of system memory (up to 128 MB) for optimal graphics and system performance
Resolution:
* Maximum internal display resolution: 1280 x 800 resolution, 16M colors
* External monitor resolution: 1600 x 1200, 16M colors
* Supports simultaneous display resolution: 1280 x 800, 16M colors

Hard Drive: 80 GB (4200 rpm) ultra-DMA 100, shock-mounted
Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

Audio:
* RealTek ALC260
* HD Audio compliant codec with 3D effect and 3D positioning
* headphone/line-out/optical digital (SPDIF) jack
* microphone/line-in jack
* 2 internal stereo speakers

Communications:
Multinational4 56K5 V.90 Modem and 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Communications:
* Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (dual-mode 802.11b/g)
* Wi-Fi®, CCX and WPA certified; Dual-band diversity antenna

Ports:
* Four USB 2.0
* IEEE 1394 (4-pin)
* S-Video out
* External video
* Modem (RJ-11)
* 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45)
Card Slots:
* One Type I/II slot
* One ExpressCard™ slot (54 mm/34 mm cards)
One shared card slot for:
* Memory Stick®
* Memory Stick PRO™
* Secure Digital (SD) card
* xD Picture Care

Battery:
* Main Battery: Lithium ion (4-cell 14.4V, 2000 mAh, 28.8Wh); up to 1.75 hours
AC Adapter
Autosensing 100-240V AC, 60W, supplying 19V DC, 3.16A
Dimensions/Weight:
14.3" x 10.5" x 1.6"; approx. 6.6 lbs with 4 cell battery and 7.04 lbs with 8-cell battery

Operating Temperature:
41°F to 95°F / 5°C to 35°C (ambient temperature); 20% to 85% relative humidity, non-condensing
Non-Operating Temperature:
5°'F to 140°F / -15°C to 60°C, 8% to 85% relative humidity; non-condensing

Thanks for reading through my post. If this is in the wrong forum, please correct me.

you could always donate it to me!

i'd make it into a webserver/f@h machine.

If you're looking for a desktop mobo that supports P-M's prepare for sticker shock, they're not cheap. IMO the best solution is a ASUS P4P800 or similiar, with the P-M adapter. The VM variation is mATX and has onboard video. Problem is you cant use the laptop's RAM on these mobo's, while the more expensive P-M mobo's support it. There are adapters to use both your laptop hard drive and DVD drive on a desktop mobo.

Now, what I would do, instead of a HTPC, is a CarPC. :) Check my sig or mp3car.com for more info.

Back