• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Tape?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zewt

I know of thermal grease and how it is applied. That knowledge alone doesn't stop me from being the absolute worst thermal grease applier in the world, however.

I was wondering if there is a such thing as prefabricated thermal grease squares? My original intel heatsink with a copper core had exactly what I was talking about. It was a gray square of thermal compound that covered the copper core. It was solidified but you could easily take a chunk out of it with a fingernail.

Any ideas if such a thing exists?

their called "thermal pads". i can buy 'em at my local somp. shop. lotsa places online sell 'em.

The_Jizzler said:
their called "thermal pads". i can buy 'em at my local somp. shop. lotsa places online sell 'em.

All the thermal pads that i have seen are little foam squares. He needs a place where he can get the little squares of thermal paste like what comes on an intel stock heatsink.

Exactly, dwschoon. I also wonder if they are as effective as some of the leading thermal greases out there.

Such a thing probably exists separately from Intel stock HSFs, but I doubt it would work better than AS5 or Ceramique, simply because it probably wouldn't be made with a good TIM. Just get better at applying the paste, it gets easier after a little practice. Remember: with thermal paste, less is more.

lol. My teacher would always make a note of correcting me when ever I said "thermal paste" instead of "thermal grease", radical. I now have reason to say it again ;)

Well, I just picked some thermal paste... from best buy. Yea, it aint the best. I am enjoying a nice drop in temps right now, however. 9c drop in idle and load! You were right, application is pretty easy after a couple of tries. The package even came with a handy spreading card :)

I'm not sure about all thermal paste since I've only used AS5 and Ceramique, but neither of those solidify at room temp. I've only seen Ceramique solidify when left out in open air for a very long time, like a month or two.

They sell that stuff your talking about, I'll have to find a link for that, it's like thermal paste impregnated onto a foil carrier, it really sucks in the performance department, even white silicone paste is better. (I'll post a link tomorrow as I'm heading out with friends soon)

They also have a product that's called phase change thermal pads.

You can get it on Ebay, but a High performance paste is alot better than this stuff, this phase change pad is better than thermal tape, but it's not even close to performing with the best thermal pastes.

Honeywell Phase change pad

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONEYWELL-PHASE...6QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46322QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Shin Etsu thermal phase change pad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ShinEtsu-Therma...4QQihZ019QQcategoryZ46322QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know why you want to mess with this stuff, but it's a free Country, and I posted a couple links if you want to waste your money. Best bet is to follow the manufacturers instructions and just buy a good product like Arctic Silver 5 or Shin Etsu thermal paste. I've tried all of these phase change pads and they all are pretty much a waste of money, in fact, I'd rather use the plain Jane silicone paste that comes in those little rectangular packages than this stuff.. But like I said, it's your money....

Back