• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should Intel shift game plan and compete with AMD price cuts on 7-24-06?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ECH

AMD Price Cuts on 7-24-06
If you are thinking of buying C2D now, I would wait until Intel starts competing. If it's true that C2D prices are distrubtor prices and not MSRP it's obviously some head room for some price cuts.

So, are you going to wait after the launch before you buy a C2D in hopes of a price cut to compete with what AMD had done?

I think you have it backwards. AMD is cutting their prices to compete with Intel's agressive pricing which has been known now for quite some time. Intel won't be reducing their C2D parts anytime soon as it is already priced low to begin with. Both camps will be taking a big hit in profits as it is to maintain market share during this price war.

Qubix said:
I think you have it backwards. AMD is cutting their prices to compete with Intel's agressive pricing which has been known now for quite some time. Intel won't be reducing their C2D parts anytime soon as it is already priced low to begin with. Both camps will be taking a big hit in profits as it is to maintain market share during this price war.
Agreed. C2D prices are slated to be pretty reasonable for what you get as it is IMHO.

This all just AMD responding to Intel to try to stay alive, I would be suprised if Intel responds to them very much as they already have the top product at a decent price. Though I would wait either way because as with any new product it will have a high price tag which is sure to drop in a couple months.

Last edited:
Well; its being patient most people cannot achieve...So yeah; patience is virtue...Muahah.

I for one...Am a Intel fan; although...I do think the price may be a tad steep, in due time though (As well as new releases and AMD's new releases as well..) you'll see a decent price drop...So I hope.

That X6800 was at gouging prices, the same CPU sold for $300 less elsewere the day before they listed it at the egg.

Pressler prices are what pushed AMD to drop A64's prices IMHO.

I also forgot to mention this as well
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3361
It appears they are reducing their top contender X2's as well by $200 or so. But these prices look like distributor prices and not MSRP. Needless to say AMD is responding to competition. I don't believe we would have seen price cuts this fast otherwise. Now, lets see if Intel responds in like manner. I am sure given enough time once people start seeing what AMD is doing those that want C2D will sit on it until the price drops. I never saw those C2D prices as MSRP. They also look like distributor prices which means there is some room for some price cuts. Now will they do it, thats another question?

If only AMD didn't putter out like it did.... I do wonder what Intel would have done.

How much was the FX62 when it first came out?? Hmmmm Hmmmmmmm

The prices will definently come down on C2D but not from intels side, the retailers are not only gouging but thanks to the hype know they can get away with these very high prices.

I remember before C2D there were prices leaked much lower then what intel debut'd them at now, and its mainly the hype generated that let intel up the price tag, there hasn't been this much buzz about intel since the p4 was introduced.

So prices will slowly lower, but only after retailers start competing, cause the new buzz is to wait, and OMG price!!

They will take notice pretty quick, cause i havn't seen a huge rush of people buying these chips like i think they expected.

Iv said it before too, it would only take one small price cut from intel on C2D to open the flood gates on the e6600 and e6700 maybe they are waiting till they can ramp production so they don't get inudated with back orders......

You mean you haven't seen a huge rush of people buying these chips because the Xtremes were the only retail ones for sell for a grand + ...????

Hell, every other member at XS has owned an ES (or two, maybe 3) for over a month... One thing is for sure, these CD2 mobos cost some jack and so does the RAM. I think a lot might be upgrading to a presler....etc before they do the big CD2. Plus a real vidcard needs a nice PSU...... plus everyone is still undecided on the MOBO to get ....maybe well after the CD2 retail drop....

Only a small percentage of the CD2 chips will be sold to the "build your own comp" people. Or maybe the projected prices a few months ago were wrong.... they came from theinquirer right?

Jame Gumb said:
One thing is for sure, these CD2 mobos cost some jack and so does the RAM. I think a lot might be upgrading to a presler....etc before they do the big CD2. Plus a real vidcard needs a nice PSU...... plus everyone is still undecided on the MOBO to get ....maybe well after the CD2 retail drop...
Well said......

I was going to upgrade as soon as the retail Conroes were released but after depleting my funds on my daughters car and the amount of money it would cost to upgrade from my already very nice setup to Conroe just doesn't make sense right now. Maybe by the time i have some more mad money put away there will be some P5W DH's and some Conroe's in the classifieds.

AMD is lowering prices to compete with Intel.

To put it in perspective, when 9xx series were released, the cheapest model(920) started off at roughly 300.00. C2D lowest model is about 200.00.

^^^ Yep, and there's not a doubt in my mind that Paul Otellini is trying to bury AMD.... They're apply pressure at every point with the 4X00, P4 price cuts, affordable 65NM.... 45NM around the corner <<<< as long as a Katyusha rocket doesn't crash into the Intel Haifa lab.

I wouldn't be surprised to see smithfeilds going for $50 if AMD keeps up the price cuts.

See its funny cause when the 9** series was released i was close to upgrading, but the lack of anything that needed dual core power stopped me from doing so.

Vista was delayed, UT2k7 was delayed GEars of War was delayed. Infact i can't really think of any real world benefit i would gain from upgrading, so i waited for C2D, but the prices on the chips are well extreme, and then the supporting hardware doesn't help matters any.

The 2k i had for the upgrade is now more like 3k, but im still not overly insensed to buy C2D at those prices. Factor in Lack of DX10 support on any GPU's and how buying Crossfire right now would be a total waste and im pretty much set to hibernate on the upgrade till end of the year.

and by that stage as with the 9** series i might just decide to wait again for 45nm or Kentsfield.

Like i said before Intel needs to reign in the cost the C2D a bit i think, get people addicted to the new architecture else everyone will just sit around waiting for the next best thing.

As you said the 900 series was expensive too at debut but look at it 6 months later? That kind of marketing doesn't help Intel cause then no one trusts them that the next best thing C2D wont come down in price on the same scale.

Intel make the best CPU's but they have the stupidest marketing model iv ever seen.

Step 1. Make awesome CPU
Step 2. Release it at a cost no one will buy
Step 3. Cut prices of old CPU's
Step 4. Wonder why no one buys new CPU's
Step 5. Wonder why no one buys old CPU's
Step 6. Repeat

Phrenetical said:
See its funny cause when the 9** series was released i was close to upgrading, but the lack of anything that needed dual core power stopped me from doing so.

Vista was delayed, UT2k7 was delayed GEars of War was delayed. Infact i can't really think of any real world benefit i would gain from upgrading, so i waited for C2D, but the prices on the chips are well extreme, and then the supporting hardware doesn't help matters any.

The 2k i had for the upgrade is now more like 3k, but im still not overly insensed to buy C2D at those prices. Factor in Lack of DX10 support on any GPU's and how buying Crossfire right now would be a total waste and im pretty much set to hibernate on the upgrade till end of the year.

and by that stage as with the 9** series i might just decide to wait again for 45nm or Kentsfield.

Like i said before Intel needs to reign in the cost the C2D a bit i think, get people addicted to the new architecture else everyone will just sit around waiting for the next best thing.

As you said the 900 series was expensive too at debut but look at it 6 months later? That kind of marketing doesn't help Intel cause then no one trusts them that the next best thing C2D wont come down in price on the same scale.

Intel make the best CPU's but they have the stupidest marketing model iv ever seen.

Step 1. Make awesome CPU
Step 2. Release it at a cost no one will buy
Step 3. Cut prices of old CPU's
Step 4. Wonder why no one buys new CPU's
Step 5. Wonder why no one buys old CPU's
Step 6. Repeat

You said a mouthful there. It appears that someone is getting greedy and it will cost them. Just because you have the best "thing" in town doesn't mean you will fleece the masses. Only the fool hearted will they profit from and they are 2 few to become millionairs. They are still producing P4's and, cut the prices of them instead of stopping production of them all together. What inventory you do have you slash in red ink...going out of business sale sort of thing. But no, they want to charge you a premium for the C2D while charging you something close to MSRP on the P4's. Don't think for one minute their price slashing is all that it's cracked up to be. The reason why they generate so many of them is to reduce the cost of production for each one. But there is only 1 backlash...overhead.

Remember their Fabs are all mechnacial. They are not paying a labor force to produce these chips like a car factory (old days). Therefore the only real issue is Overhead. Those old P4's still cost $ to produce. However, they could just red ink it and push the C2D forward. Replacing the P4's and producing them at large quanities so that you reduce the cost of each. Which will reduce the cost to distrubtors who then pass that savings onto the stores...you know the rest.

But no, they want to charge a prem for the new and cut prices for the old. As if we are to buy both??? Trust me, netburst cpu at $.50 a cpu won't hurt what AMD is offering, believe that. You will get few, very few that will buy a P4 setup from an AMD...honestly even if they do they are waiting for Conroe. But in reality very from AMD is jumping ship to a netburst CPU...that's just silly.

I mean really, they should give you a P4 free with the purchase of every C2D if you ask me LOL.
In reality when push comes to shove, slashing prices for P4 netburst CPUs is what I call a stalling tactic. You are only dancing around the fire instead of putting it out.

Last edited:
Back