• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should Intel shift game plan and compete with AMD price cuts on 7-24-06?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Phrenetical said:
See its funny cause when the 9** series was released i was close to upgrading, but the lack of anything that needed dual core power stopped me from doing so.

Vista was delayed, UT2k7 was delayed GEars of War was delayed. Infact i can't really think of any real world benefit i would gain from upgrading, so i waited for C2D, but the prices on the chips are well extreme, and then the supporting hardware doesn't help matters any.

The 2k i had for the upgrade is now more like 3k, but im still not overly insensed to buy C2D at those prices. Factor in Lack of DX10 support on any GPU's and how buying Crossfire right now would be a total waste and im pretty much set to hibernate on the upgrade till end of the year.

and by that stage as with the 9** series i might just decide to wait again for 45nm or Kentsfield.

Like i said before Intel needs to reign in the cost the C2D a bit i think, get people addicted to the new architecture else everyone will just sit around waiting for the next best thing.

As you said the 900 series was expensive too at debut but look at it 6 months later? That kind of marketing doesn't help Intel cause then no one trusts them that the next best thing C2D wont come down in price on the same scale.

Intel make the best CPU's but they have the stupidest marketing model iv ever seen.

Step 1. Make awesome CPU
Step 2. Release it at a cost no one will buy
Step 3. Cut prices of old CPU's
Step 4. Wonder why no one buys new CPU's
Step 5. Wonder why no one buys old CPU's
Step 6. Repeat

What are you talking about??? C2D prices wayy lower then previous models. You are calling C2D prices extreme because stupid *** newegg gouged a few people on the XE. You will be able to buy a E6300 for 200.00 at launch. You will be able to buy a E6400 for 250.00. An E6600 for 325.00. Intel is driving AMD into the ground.

WTF are u guys talking about???? lol A "premium" for C2D??? In relativity to the market, C2D have been the cheapest Intel CPU in years.

Intel doesn't care what the "do it yourself" guy thinks..... They deal with Dell and other fortune 1000 companies. They push the weight, when Intel stops making the P4s they push the C2Ds. And believe this... Dell will act like nothing ever happened... a new commercial with a smaller LCD.

It won't be too long before mass production is in full swing, and there will be normalcy once again.

edit A few different C2Ds for $169 and 170 in quater 4

Last edited:
A premium for ram? Expensive mobo?
Are you guys just looking at whats in Fugger's and the likes case and assuming thats what you need to run these things???

The HIGHEST FSB reported with no mods has been out of a $150 motherboard!!!!!!
And look at the bench results, low timings arn't really making much of a diffence with C2D. Heck ECH (OP here) posted a link to a artical about it a while back :eh?:

And the prices on the CPU's.. RangerXLT8 covered that, for a top of the heap CPU these things are going to be CHEAP unless you get the X6800 :rolleyes:

What's the percentage of ocing mobos that cost under $200........ the DQ6's little brother DS3 realy needs to shine with the retails. If I spend 250 on an ASUS board it better OC like a mofo and it better come with Orinoco classic gold wifi. Still too early to be really griping about the mobos/bioses, need to wait a few days until the retails drop.

cfw2.jpg

thats so stupid so if a x6800 is 1300 bucks it dominates the crap out of the fx-62 in my opinion its worht it seing one of the cores on the x6800 is fater then both on the fx

hey man, look at it from this point of view...when you are in a price war you are in a price war...you cannot ignore that your competitor is reducing prices by reducing prices on products that will not sell.
Besides if this article is true, then the MSRP of C2D is not accurate at all but distrubtor pricing. Which means we are already paying a premiuma the listed price.

060720_intel_price_cuts.jpg

Intel

060720_amd_price_cuts_2.jpg

Amd

Besides the best way to re-gain market share is through Penetration pricing don't jump on my case because the idea exist.

Premium Pricing
Use a high price where there is a uniqueness about the product or service where a a substantial competitive advantage exists. Luxuries such as Cunard Cruises, Savoy Hotel rooms, and Concorde flights.

Price Skimming
Charge a high price because you have a substantial competitive advantage. However, the advantage is not sustainable.

Penetration Pricing
The price charged for products and services is set artificially low in order to gain market share. Once this is achieved, the price is increased.

Economy Pricing
The cost of marketing and manufacture are kept at a minimum. Supermarkets often have economy brands for soups, spaghetti, etc.

Last edited:
Back