• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a creative temp monitor solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coriolis

Registered
Here's the problem: I have an OEM board (Intel SE440BX-3) that doesn't have a CPU temp sensor (why in God's name...??? :mad: ).

The CPU is an SECC2 Slot 1 PIII.

So, has anyone out there rigged up something clever (and cheap :D) for measuring CPU temp on a board with no CPU temp sensor?

P3 have a built in diode for temp sensing that is better than any probe you could mount, you sure that it doesn't work?

the overclocker said:
you can get small battery powered thermominters with lcd desplays for around $15, you could put that in the heatsink
Sounds like a potential solution -- do you know who makes them? Thanks!

ButcherUK said:
P3 have a built in diode for temp sensing that is better than any probe you could mount, you sure that it doesn't work?
I didn't know that, but even so, my Mobo doesn't monitor it -- I've check the technical manual for the SE440BX-3, looked at various on-line resources for this mobo, and used MBM5 to try to locate it (which reported "no main board sensor"). Thanks!

This can be a little hairy but it worked for me. If you have any temp sensor pins on your board, it might work for you. I ran a cel566 through a slocket and couldn't get any readings (bios or mbm). Asus said it should work, like the P3 promises. Point is, it didn't. Off the net I got info and went to Radio Shack and got the only thermister diode they sell. Cost me 1.82. My board had a pinout for a sensor and all I did was solder the diode to some leads with pins on them and plug it to the board. Worked first time out and needed 3 degrees comp. Snaked it into the hsf (on top, don't go under! I know, you know that.) If you don't have any mb pins, like the man said, there's info to convert an indoor/outdoor thermometer. It has the LCD and everything. Anything can be done. Just takes some off the wall thinking. Good luck.

Back