• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a short loop that much better???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wun911

I use aprox 4m total amout of tube in my loop today.... Im thinking of putting my rad like 4m away from my PC (Noizy 6 Fan RAD to be placed in my Bros room). I would probably have a total of 10m of tubes at the end of the day.

1: Will having more tubes effect the preformance? And by how much?

2: Will the pump (swiftec) beable to push liquids 10m in distance?

wun911 said:
I use aprox 4m total amout of tube in my loop today.... Im thinking of putting my rad like 4m away from my PC (Noizy 6 Fan RAD to be placed in my Bros room). I would probably have a total of 10m of tubes at the end of the day.

1: Will having more tubes effect the preformance? And by how much?

2: Will the pump (swiftec) beable to push liquids 10m in distance?

1) Yes, tubes will effect the performance. I'm not really sure on that, so I'd ask someone else, but I can tell you it'll effect performance
2) If you're running a D5 (Swiftech's MCP655), you may be able to get by. What blocks are you using?

The impact on performance is minimized if you can keep the tubing as level as possible, negating any effects gravity would have.

If the tubing is generally level to the ground then the swiftec pump will have no problem pushing the extra distance.

The swiftech responds really well to increased head pressure. The extra 6M of tubing is going to reduce your overall flow by .5 lph at most, even that is a really really high estimate.

A rule of thumb I have come across is to calculate an extra foot of head pressure for every 20 feet of horizontal run. So in this case, you are looking at just barely 11" extra head pressure, and regardless if you are using the 355 or the 655, 11" of extra head won't mean much difference at all.

4 meters of tubing really is quite a bit of tubing to start with. Most midtowers are only going to use like 1-2 meters of tubing. You must have some very long runs. Adamwinn gave you some good numbers to work with. I think I would just get some quieter fans or a fan controller before I went through the trouble of moving a rad so far away.

... Gravity... does not have any effect.... because it's a LOOP.

Equal amount of water going in both directions.

Think of a water loop as a DC current. As the distance that a DC current travels increases, the power you receive at the end is weaker than what is at the start. So minimizing the distance you must pump the water will make is easier on your pump and therefore increase flow.

Thanks for the help pplz

I know 4m is already quite long.... I have a Lian Li PC V 1000 (not exactly made for water cooling)

I have already purchased my 6 panflo hi speed fans, I dont really want to swap em over for low speed ones.

NOW think of a vacume cleaner (45.5 dB per fan) that is ALWAYS on in your room!!!

I just want to move the rad it even if it means getting another pump!!!! noize is driving me nuts!

how about undervolting the fans... 7v would make those very quiet, not inaudible, but bearable. Just a low hum.

HOLY WHITE STARS BATMAN! I HAVE WHITE STARS?!

ive got about 16 to 18 foot (not counting the high pressure stuff which is 1/4 OD, and about 24 foot) , just because ive been sloppy and lazy and my system is exotic. there is allso 4 pumps on it so my tubing lengh really dosnt matter much at all. two on the hot side, two on the cold side -pressure makes or breaks me.
see how many variables come into play?
how restrictive are your blocks? how strong are the pumps? how stiff is the tubing? how much energy does it absorb expanding? (maybe thats not an issue?)
i say go for it.
shove that noisy sucker wherever you want it on whatever tubing length you want.
if things start sucking - get another pump in series preferably on the opposite (hot?) side of your loop as the pump is currently.

Maviryk said:
... Gravity... does not have any effect.... because it's a LOOP.

Equal amount of water going in both directions.

only in theoretical land... unfortunately no system is ever perfectly 'closed' and therefore will always be subject to the effects of gravity. the effects can range from nearly immeasurable to quite substantial -

to sum it up: the more often you have to 'top off' your loop, the greater the effects of gravity on your loop.

How would gravity effect the need to add fluid to a water loop? I lost about 1/2 oz from my loop over the course of 7 months, but I have a very short loop made 80% 3/8" and 20% 1/2" all with 1/8" wall thickness.

other way around. adding fluid means you don't have a sealed system, so gravity isn't entirely negated by the force of the water falling back down after it climbs. i'm half asleep right now, i'll edit this post in the morning :)

I agree with the 7v recommendation. Just hardwire them at 7v. You would see hardly any difference in temps, no difference in overclock, and it would greatly cut down on your noise.

well what kind of rad and what are you cooling? if you aren't cooling much and have a powerful pump that doesn't dump TOO much heat then you hsould be fine with just lowering the fan speed. my dual 120mm sizeheatercore keeps my opteron 148 at ambient(17-20C) with my delta afb1212vhe's running at the lowest my fan controller will go. so yeah, depends on your load size.

Back