• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting blocks correctly is important!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Yea I almost fried my CPU >>. I mounted the block on to tight...angled it on the die of a Athlon XP, was getting constant blue screens, sever loss of OC, more volts means crashing quicker...insanely high temps, took my Apogee off and found it wasnt making good contact. *pause* after getting back from the bathroom, RIGHT BEFORE I WAS ABOUT THE PUT THE BLOCK BACK ON, i noticed toasted AS5...slightly lighter color *takes cpu out* sure enough...now barely tightened, but enough so it wont fall off, temps are down, oc is up, all is good!

Please check your block mounts often!

Good thing my motherboard automatically shuts down the PC when the temp of the CPU is too high. It also gives a number code giving why it was shut down (on the mobo).

nyforever said:
Good thing my motherboard automatically shuts down the PC when the temp of the CPU is too high. It also gives a number code giving why it was shut down (on the mobo).

Yeah, mine was to dumb haha.

Safly loaded at 40C right now, Prime95 stable, i got her mounted correctly after about 10 tries

what happens if it goes insanely high to fast for you "motherboard sensors" to get the details and shutdown your system...

SeanB66 said:
what happens if it goes insanely high to fast for you "motherboard sensors" to get the details and shutdown your system...

Chances are you just toasted a CPU then. Nothing can be done to prevent that...although, the only way I see that possible is if the heatsink isnt even mounted or its mounted but not physically touching the CPU/die

SeanB66 said:

I... I don't know. I didn't mount a waterblock right (when I FIRST ever took out the mobo). It shutdown everytime I tried to turn it on. ****ed me off until I noticed the code number. I searched the manual, and told me that the CPU was overheating too much. Ofcourse, at first, I was like "wtf this stupid waterblock". When I was going to take it off for the fan, I realized that I didn't mount it correctly. :p

The CPU's fine. Works fine. It's a Intel Prescott 660 (run hot!!!!).

Back