• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme Edition with Murderous intensions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

i was just wondring, i got an extreme edition from my uncle who is tired of dealing with it along with a abit fatality motherboard and both have already been RMAd once before but...

when ever this processor gets put into another motherboard it kills it and EVERYTHING attached to it, excluding drives and PSU's...or so i am told
its a 3.46Ghz LGA755 1066FSB chip

hes since switched to AM2 (i dont know why since they are having the bandwidth issues)

has any one had this problem before?
i am gonna RMA them again.

he said he tried it with all different stuff after the first time and the same thing happened.

either way i am gonna RMA it and probally sell it when i get another one back
he also said he took it to a local shop to see if they could fix it after he bulit another system and they had it happen too

Think about this with a little logic.. what would have the power or abilty to kill everything? Does a CPU produce or controll power to everything?

greenmaji said:
Think about this with a little logic.. what would have the power or abilty to kill everything? Does a CPU produce or controll power to everything?

My thoughts exactly...the CPU CONSUMES energy, and dissapates it as heat.
Unless there is a short circut in the thing somewhere....but still, I think that it is impossible for anything that can be killed by a mere 1.7 volts can fry a 12v harddrive or a 450Watt PSU!!!!:confused:

The only component that can and will be able to kill everything including itself is the PSU.

I cant imagine a mobo being able to kill EVERYTHING including the PSU.

hey man weirder things have happened you just never know. i had a laptop harddrive hooked up by a adapter for ide. Barely moved the power cable for the hd and it killed the cpu. i was ****ed but it was a 1.2ghz tually, just lucky it didnt kill the board.

3.46 sounds like a 955XE pressler, i HAVE seen a CPU that kills everything that its attached to (minus PSU, thats just weird )

long time ago it was an infamous 1.0ghz celeron socket 370 that killed 4 boards before we tossed it, and more recently was a CPU that killed 3 P5S800-VM's until we found out the stupid thing wasn't even a real CPU, but a continuity chip or something... no caps on the bottom at all.

What are the specs on the board? like, model and such?

~ Gos

Sound like and internal short in the chip that is sending some ugly volts out to the peripery. I'm surprised it is doing damage to HDs as they are on a higher power buss 2 chips downline (NB and SB). Ram and PCIE are fair game to the CPU with the shared buss structure. I would take that chip to the rifle range, PULL!

its doing damage to everything but the drives and PSU
and as i say again this is what i am told, its pretty toast, no fans come on on the mobo and i dont know any one else who has a lga board.

probally gonna RMA it, make sure the abit board can support it and mabe sell them both as a package for a few hundred bucks. seeing how i'll most likely recive replacements instead of repairs

just for giggles check over the cpu and post all the markings if possible.

ok giggles gimme a minute....

ok it saysas on it under intel and pentium 4 and the blah blah:
3.46Ghz/2M/1066
SL7NF COSTA RICA
3441B258

and in the black next to the funky square bar code thing:
B2305

thats ok its gonna get sent out.

those numbers tell you any thing Evil?

Niku-Sama said:
thats ok its gonna get sent out.

those numbers tell you any thing Evil?
well from the numbers the cpu is real. no a cpu pcb with just a resistor like some ic's i have read about causing equiment malfunctions. i would call up intel and give them the low down.

Back