• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 95 floppys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nandro

Disabled
I have a friend who needs to install windows 95 on an old laptop that has no network or CD. He has the images for the win 95 floppy's, I believe its 30 of them, but they originally came on special floppys that were 1.6M in size. Would there be any way to use compression to make regualr floppys hold this data? I cant seem to find anyplace that sells larger floppys. He really just needs this old lappy to work for one program. Another question is did NY come on rgular size floppys?

shoot, i forget what microsoft calls that format but they have a name for those 1.6mb disks. i never had any success making copies of them back in the day. i wanna say DMF but that's probably wrong. :shrug:

how i would do it would be to create a direct parallel port connection between the two computers and use the DOS 6 Interlnk and Intersvr programs to basically share the CD-ROM drive from your Host desktop to his laptop. I installed Win95A on an old 386SX-20 laptop this way a LONG time ago, it took 16 hours to install but it worked :D good luck.

Good luck to him. Personally it seems rather complicated. I did a search and although I think I could do it myself, I dont think he will be able to. My recomendation to him was to install debian via floppy as it would set up the network connection and debian has always been good to me for legacy devices, and it should be able to download a light OS with wine and hopefully run his 1 application, if not he could try crossover office. But thats just what I would do. Even win 95 will be slow on a PII with 128M of ram. I will pass on the idea although I think its way beyond his knowlege and patience. he seems more or less the type who has never seen a command line in his life, hence my debian recommendation. I know linux uses a command line, but it does setup easy.

Back