• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Temps w/ AC Freezer 64 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech0

Registered
Hello,

I have a 3700+ San Diego with AC Freezer 64 Pro and I don't really like my IDLE temp, which is 40°C. BURN is something like 48°C... I looked through Newegg.com reviews where guys had the same CPU and most of them had temps lower (IDLE around 30°C and BURN around 40°C). Not to mention, that some of those had an overclocked CPU... How comes that mine is 40°C at default clock and 1,4V? This review also proves that my temperatures are way to high.
Oh, and I let the fan to do the work itself -- I do not control the speed and jumps around from 600 rpm to 1650 rpm when CPU is at full load (Prime95). And I kinda would like it to run 2200 rpm (the maximum). I guess it will only run at this when it gets past Q-Fan threshold (51°C)...

Is it possible that high ambient makes it hotter than it should be? As far as I remember my ambient was 32°C when I forgot to stick thermal diode into some heatsink and left it to lay around in the case. Or maybe I should reinstall the heatsink? But then I'll need to get some new thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5?). As I wasn't the one who installed it (it was a technician from local hardware store) and I can't be sure if it has been done correctly (maybe the pre-applied thermal grease was damaged or something like that)... Oh, and.. Will I damage the current thermal grease if I unlock the heatsink and lock it again (to be sure it's sitting on the CPU as it should).
And yes, I do have one 80mm fan in front (BLOW) and one 80mm in the back (SUCK).

I wouldn't care if I wasn't a guy, who likes to overclock from time to time, but I am one and overclocking became questionable with current temps.

So, what do you think? :>

I was also thinking about lapping, but I'm not sure if I will be able to get 400 > <...> > 2000 grit sandpaper...

Thanks.

:sn:

using same processor and same cooler but im at 2.8ghz @ 1.35 and i idle at 28c load at 36-37c with this cooler. how do you have the cooler mounter? can you take a pic of it? i will show a picture on how mine is mounted on my dfi lanpart ultra-d.

im using 120mm in back and in the front along with a 92mm on side panel, i would try and get better airflow in your case

dsc001265iw.jpg

Last edited:
My Freezer Pro is cooler than yours on a 4200+ overclocked so you might have a problem with the thermal paste. Keep in mind that the new paste needs a few weeks to settle and temps will drop over time. Also if your ambient is 32C do you mean in case or room? I find when my room temp 29-30C it is really hard to get my core temp below 40C. Same with a 3200+ I had a week ago.

chas0039 said:
Also if your ambient is 32C do you mean in case or room?
The thermal diode was lying on the bottom of the case, so yes, it's kinda case temperature...

I'll try to do some pics soon :)

chas0039 said:
I find when my room temp 29-30C it is really hard to get my core temp below 40C.
40°C when IDLE? If so, is it common for you? Do temps drop down when it's not so hot outside? And how much do they?

A small report:
Just overclocked this baby to 250 x 11.0 = 2750 MHz (at 1,4V). I had to drastically decrease the memory divider to 266 MHz though...
I ran Prime95 for some time. Most of the time it was around 49°C, but there where moments when it got to 50°C or even 51°C.

tech0 said:
A small report:
Just overclocked this baby to 250 x 11.0 = 2750 MHz (at 1,4V). I had to drastically decrease the memory divider to 266 MHz though...
I ran Prime95 for some time. Most of the time it was around 49°C, but there where moments when it got to 50°C or even 51°C.

This is exactly the same temp I see when I have Prime going full blast at 1.38v. In answer to your prior question, I have seen idle temps as low as 33C on a cool morning with 40C at load.

Here come the photos!

My comments:

(1) This is the main scheme of airflow. One 80mm is blowing air inside the case CPU fan helps him a little and rear 80mm fan is sucking air outside the case.
(2) As you can see the heatsink is sitting on the CPU. It doesn't look too bad, does it?
(3) Some thermal compound is squeezed out. It should tell me that the heatsink is sitting well, but can you see that not covered space, which is marked red on the picture? I know that the core of CPU isn't as big as the heat spreader, but still. What do you think?
(4) The clip (red) isn't in parallel with the whole thing (green). It's a few degrees off. Should it be like that? I have no experience with Socket 939 heatsink mounting. It looks quite basic, but I'm not sure it's locked well as it's not 90 degrees with the motherboard. How could you comment this?

Any conclusions? Should I reinstall it?

Oh, and sorry for bad focus and shaky pictures :)

Thanks ^^

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 55
hmm seems like you have it mounted fine. i would try and mod the back of your case to fit a 120mm fan along with the front of your case as well. 120mm fans push alot more air than those 80mm ones.

40c idle and load at 48c? hmm i think its cause of your airflow

What temps do you see with the cover off? This might tell if your problem is airflow.

Back