• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with FTP on IIS 6.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK i got it up and running i just need some quick help on 2 things...

1) How do i make a folder in the home directory that links to a virtual directory

2) How do i add more users for the FTP login?

The way I set up IIS for multiple sites is by naming the folders usernames. Windows can sort and point clients to their respective root directories if they are the same as their username. Users can be added the same way you add new users to a Windows box.

In IIS if you set up a folder as a web site (globe Icon), right click on the website and go to properties and then the "web site" tab and then select advanced next to the ip box and you can set domain names to IP addresses. While in properties, under the "home directory" tab you can set where the home directory is on your hard disk.

If you want to add a Virtual Directory to a website then you can right click on a website, select virtual directory and point it to a folder on the disk. I think you may have this confused because in IIS microsoft terms a virtual directory is basically a shortcut to a folder outside of the home directory.

For example say your home directory is
C:\inetpub\wwwroot

You want to add a folder thats on the D drive
D:\testfolder

In IIS you would set "testfolder" as a virtual directory

While "testfolder" is not actually in wwwroot, it would funtion like it was.

So if "http://localhost" was your default webpage, "http://localhost/testfolder" would be a virtual directory even though testfolder is not in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot directory

Its not as confusing as its sounds

ya i got the virtual directory thing.... just sorta confused on adding users to acess the home directory and everything else in the FTP. thnx for ur help

OK i have found easy answers to both the questions... NOW i have 1 more...

1) If i use the USER ISOLATION feature in IIS 6.0 is there n e way i can create a user that can go to the main root directory and be able to access everyone elses folders...

THNX

Sorry for double post but i have one more question

How can i set a limitation on how much an FTP user can store on his/her account.... this is on IIS 6.0 in Windows Server 2003 NON R2

Back