• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GT, 7600GT or Other Ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlavrenz

Well I think it is time for an upgrade:D

Currently I have a Radeon 9550 and I can max out UT2 and WOW but frames get REALLY choppy at times so I have them at about half. I am looking to max out these games and possibly some newer ones when they come out on my current monitor which I run at 1028x768. That said, I don't want to spend too much... I want to build a kick-@$$ system in a year or two so this doesn't have to last forever.

I was looking at,

eVGA 7600GT for $139 after rebate

or

eVGA 7900GT KO for $244 after rebate

Would either card be sufficient or do you guys have another recommendation?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

the 7900gt is overkill for the resolution you dont need to spend that much. The 7600gt is currently tied for the best price/performace with the x850xt but the x850xt no longer has a good deal on it so they can be had for similar prices. The 7600gt does not have as many flukes as the x850xt and is newer tech as well so I would get the 7600gt.

I was running a 7600GT for a while and I got really frustrated with FEAR and a few other games that really stressed it. Far Cry and Half Life 2 were fine at mid levels. After I sold it and got the 7900GT you link to above, I have had no regrets. It was some of the best money I have ever spent. It is such a relief to not have to work at settings to get smooth play, and upcoming games will get even worse. When you consider that card would have been $600 just a few years ago, it is a bargain and a relief to see graphics high end start to go down like the rest of the PC market.

Get the 7900GT, you will never regret it and you will see the benefits every time you look at the screen.

BTW, your 7900GT link is wrong. Make sure you get the 584 not the 564.

chas0039 said:
I was running a 7600GT for a while and I got really frustrated with FEAR and a few other games that really stressed it. Far Cry and Half Life 2 were fine at mid levels. After I sold it and got the 7900GT you link to above, I have had no regrets. It was some of the best money I have ever spent. It is such a relief to not have to work at settings to get smooth play, and upcoming games will get even worse. When you consider that card would have been $600 just a few years ago, it is a bargain and a relief to see graphics high end start to go down like the rest of the PC market.

Get the 7900GT, you will never regret it and you will see the benefits every time you look at the screen.

BTW, your 7900GT link is wrong. Make sure you get the 584 not the 564.
For 1024x768 I don't think the 7600GT will have a problem providing adequate framerates. A 7900GT will be overkill for many games at that resolution, i.e. it will get you 100+ FPS whereas the 7600GT will get you a perfectly playable 60 FPS. If I didn't have to run 1680x1050 resolution, I probably would have got the 7600GT instead of the 7900GT.

Take the money that you save by getting a 7600gt and put it into a "buy a better monitor" fund.

lol well I can run my monitor up to 2048x1536 but that is WAY too big for a 17"
I plan on getting a dell 24" with the new computer I wil build.

Thanks for all the input, 7600 sounds like the way to go :D

KillrBuckeye said:
For 1024x768 I don't think the 7600GT will have a problem providing adequate framerates.

I'm just reporting what I found. For FEAR, it was inadequate.

DX 10 and dx 10 games are going to be far enough out that a new generation of cards and a refresh should be out by then. I would go with the 7600GT unles you buy used in which case possibly a 7800gt or the like. I dont see over a $100 difference between the 2 when its really only a couple games that will really push the card. Eye candy is nice, but for me money saved is nicer.

KillrBuckeye said:
What resolution and quality settings were you using? Did you have soft shadows turned off?

I tried a number of resolutions from 1024x768 on down, shadows off, AA off, just about everything off I could try. I can't recall what I finally settled on as I got fed up and changed to a 7900GT. Now I can run at 1280x960 (as I recall) with all settings at MAX and AA and aniso at 4X and the test program measures 0% below 29fps.

Sceptre is good and all but getting one is like buying an open box because sceptres warranties are sub par at best. Dont get me wrong I dont hate sceptre in fact I own a 20.1" widescreen made by them its just that this brand is not for everyone. When you are spending this much on a monitor you da** well want to be sure that it works properly.

The only way that sceptre becomes a viable option, for most people, is if you get it at costco. Also sceptre monitors dont have hdcp yet.

not to ressurect a dead thread but I finally got a 7600GS 512 mb and a new monitor 22" Acer

I get better frame rates at 1680x1050 with this new graphics card then I did at 1080x720

Hey dlavrenz, I have a acer 22" also and I'm looking to upgrade a little with something like the card you ended up with. What are your impressions of the 7600?

It is great thus far! I can from a Radeon 9550 which is an older 128mb ATI card and it did ok. UT 2004 was playable full resolution at 1024x768 and when I played WOW I had almost all the setting up.

Now with the new card, I can play at 1680x1050 on UT2004 at full setting and I averaged about 10 frames per second faster then before. I haven't benched anything on WOW but that runs great also.

It depends on your system too though. Maybe think about posting it in your sig. With what I have, it is a perfect match.

This 7600 runs great and once you check out the price, it is unbelievable. Definite 2 thumbs up.

Back