• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I know I can mix manufacturers.What I am wondering is if different versions of the 7900 video card work with each other? For example, I have an XFX 7900GT Xtreme.I believe the specs are 520mhz x 1500mhz on that card.If I get another 7900 card, what would the results be if I got a 7900GT that wasnt factory overclocked? If I get one rated at standard 7900GT specs, will it cause problems with my factory oveclocked card? Should I look for anything special when buying a new card?WIll all 7900 cards work with each other, but run only at the lowest cards settings? I'm a little confused, and any help would be appreciated.I couldnt find my answer in the stickies.

Thanks in advance!

nvidiaOCmaster said:
should work.
nvidiaOCmaster: Thanks for the quick reply!

Can someone confirm this with confidence, and perhaps warm me of any problems I might have to expect, such as driver issues or clock speed differences conflicting with each other? I dont want to go lay down $250 for a card thats going to be problematic in SLI mode.

Ascii2 said:
I believe it has been possible since the 70 series of the nVidia Forceware drivers.
Yes, I believe I read that the 81.31(???) drivers solved a compatibility problem between manufacturers.I see so many versions of the 7900 cards that I'm not sure that every 7900 card will work with each other.

I used 2 x7600GT's in SLI , both are XFX one is the XXX model clocked at 590/1600 the other is an Extreme Edition model at 580/1500. I have the slower card in the lower second sli slot (lowest). The 2 run at the slower cards clock speeds but both will overclock to 600/1600, I have not bothered to push the mem any and I have 2 VF700's attached

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Yeah, make sure you run the faster one as the "slave"(the one you plug your monitor cable into ;))

thats the second time i heard that :(

im gonna throw in my old cards today and see what happens.

Great...then I can go with a cheaper sales-priced 7900GT card from another manufacturer!

Thanks for all the help!

Back