• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am still on 56k, I want broadband so bad.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

Ok our town has wireless, the antinna is on the water tower at 37.17251 Latitude -89.35069 Longitude. There is a hill between us & the tower, the guy that checks the signal will not come check, not sure why. Anyway, I think we could get it, if I could figure out the Lat. & Lon. where the house is, it would be alot easier. I tried terraserver but well that is not doing it really. Is there a site that has maps with Lon., Lat. & elivatations?

Last edited:
Well I marked the tower, & US when in the prog. It looks like we should beable to get it, for sure if we get a tower. It looks to me like the guy is to lazy to come check, he didn't check on the hill on the property. If he doesn't want to come out here to check, can we realy do anything though? Charter has our town on their page for internet, but the guy on the phone said he didn't know when we would beable to get it. I just love when companies have stuff on thier site, but the person on the phone knows nothing or just a little about it. :bang head

Standard conversation of the wireless surveyor:

Surveyor: Well it looks like you'll have good reception with a 50 foot tower. The trees block too much signal to mount it on the peak of your house.

Homeowner: How much does a 50 foot tower cost?

Surveyor: Around 3-4000 bucks, mayble less if you can find a used one. Plus you need a half cubic yard of concrete to anchor it so the wind won't blow it over on the house.

Homeowner: Well F^%$ all that! You're not selling internet, you're selling towers!

That's why he don't wanna come out. You know how many of those conversations that guy has probably had outside of town?

If you're sure that you'd have good signal, shop around for a tower ~50 feet (and higher too so theres no surprises) call them back and tell him you've shopped around and know what a tower would cost, and he'll probably come out then.

BTW, I'm with ya man. I've been without broadand for years now. SBC keeps saying that a new DSL facility is replacing the cross-connect box at my corner, but so far that seems to be smoke blown in a very inappropriate place.

Another thing to add, if your cell phone is a year old or less, it has GPS (just maybe not mapping and navigation) for the enhanced 911 system. Go into the menu under GPS and select refresh. It should come up with your co-ordinates shortly.

Last edited:
ƒÓÒl said:
Standard conversation of the wireless surveyor:

Surveyor: Well it looks like you'll have good reception with a 50 foot tower. The trees block too much signal to mount it on the peak of your house.

Homeowner: How much does a 50 foot tower cost?

Surveyor: Around 3-4000 bucks, mayble less if you can find a used one. Plus you need a half cubic yard of concrete to anchor it so the wind won't blow it over on the house.

Homeowner: Well F^%$ all that! You're not selling internet, you're selling towers!

That's why he don't wanna come out. You know how many of those conversations that guy has probably had outside of town?

*Winner*, He surveyed it the first time and saw a hill/trees in the way. He also likely does not want the responsibility/liability of standing a tower. In his mind there is no reason to waste fuel/time coming out to a site he already knows will not work.

A 50' tower will run $1600 or so depending if there is a suitable location to braket the tower.

maybe you can get up a tree mounted mast, to get above the trees? haha.

sometimes i wish my boss would accept that theres houses that just cant get it without going up there. every place we survey, he says "well i think we could get it if we just got a little higher" and weve had customers add sections to their exixting tower just to find out that the next set of trees we couldnt see from the ground is still killing the signal. so we end up spending 3 days worth of time screwing with an installation that doesnt work, or not good enough to provide reliable service, and we sink tons of time and money into it.

id love to be able to play with 900.... grr for bein expensive.

I'm so lucky to have my wireless ISP. I have a perfect signal, (house is on top of a hill with a clear line of sight to the antenna) I just wish the prices and speed were better.

Ddruid_SMP said:
A 50' tower will run $1600 or so depending if there is a suitable location to braket the tower.

I should have said "free-standing tower". I shopped here, and don't want guy wires planted in the yard....not liking getting clotheslined on the lawn tractor. :D

the guy who bought one of the properties we have a tower on said he got used to the guy wires REAL quick when ridin his mower... lol.

you could start hackin at all the trees between you and the tower :beer:

A free standing tower that tall isnt hard to make if you can weld. The only problem is you would need a crane and a cement truck to fill the hole. The hole itself would need to be 3 feet in dia. and probably 12 feet deep. Fence supply companies would have the pipe if you dont have a regular pipe supply shop. The first 24 feet of it would need to be at least 2 1/2 inches in dia and the rest could be lighter and smaller but if you have wind sch 40 for the whole thing would be best. Oh and to be free standing it would have to be 3 pipes in a triangle with braces welded in every 18 inches. Once you get it built and you go to install it dont forget to ground it, unless you want a giant lightning rod. lol

Back