• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People with super rigs who play WoW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I play WoW and I play it a lot. Been playing since closed beta and have over 200 days played since launch. I raid 5 nights a week @ 5 hours a night. Just a lil background. (yeah, Im sick)

Now I know my rig isnt top of the line and defenitely not the fastest, but you can admit its pretty decent. It actually runs great, but I want it to run flawlessly. Specifically, to those who play wow and raid high end, Im talking about the zerg when fighting nerfarian and he hits 20%. That zerg brings my pc down on its knees begging for mercy. I get 5fps! Slideshow FTL.

I have thought about going with an SLI setup and/or 7950, also have considered dual core proc, but wow just doesnt like these setups. Recently, blizz has "fixed" the dual core issue where dual core rigs were capped at 64fps. From what I have heard first hand from people is that their FPS is higher, but WoW does not take advantage of dual core procs. And the same goes for dual GPU 7950/SLI. The game just doesnt take advantage of it.

So you guys with super rigs that play wow, tell me how your set ups run. Also, if you can, take a look at mine. What can I do?

--pak

From my experiences with wow, and my sister's, it appears that the uber video cards dont see much benifit as most of the hickups in wow are lag related. However I never done the exact thing that you mentioned that caused the slideshow.

WOW is not really a graphic intensive game. I run it on max settings and only go below 40fps when in Org and its got everyone and their mother AEIng after a raid.

lol, my fps in warcraft 3 is capped at 64... that is strange. I don't think a 7900gt should have any trouble muscling through wow, my friend was doing just fine on a 9800xt and a xp 2xxx he is sicker than you are I do believe, more like 250 days /played since closed beta. He only had the slightest of problems in 40 man raid instances and he was running his monitor at some obscene resolution where it didn't even have a 1:1 mapping (1920x1440 i believe), turn down aa and filtering and you should be fine.

Last edited:
maybe thats my problem, cuz I have to play at max eye candy.

--pak

still even with max eye candy, wow is not that intensive. your videocard should be able to handle it without a problem, although what resolution are you playing at?

There is a hell of a difference between the quality of graphics and the processing strain of graphics. This applies to any game or engine ever made. Don't confuse the two.

WoW is no Crysis, for sure. However, the shader techniques they use do not lend themselves to efficiency, and don't scale well with increasing renderable objects. In fact blizzard released an improvement for this very issue in a recent patch. However, it didn't completely fix the problem. WoW's engine becomes vastly more resource dependant when you introduce player numbers on the scales of 40vs40 raids in AV. This is why your system comes to a crawl.

The effect is more pronounced on some hardware configurations than others.

SuperFarStucker said:
lol, my fps in warcraft 3 is capped at 64... that is strange. I don't think a 7900gt should have any trouble muscling through wow, my friend was doing just fine on a 9800xt and a xp 2xxx he is sicker than you are I do believe, more like 250 days /played since closed beta. He only had the slightest of problems in 40 man raid instances and he was running his monitor at some obscene resolution where it didn't even have a 1:1 mapping (1920x1440 i believe), turn down aa and filtering and you should be fine.
turn off vsync.

I dont think its his vsync if he capped at 64. Thats the dual core issue. When you turn on the vsync you cap at 60.

and I run everything on high @ 1600x1200.

--pak

With a A64 3500 Venice, Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe, eVga 7900GT and 2gigs OCZ Gx ram. I was pulling between 40 and 60FPS in MC running a res of 1600 x 1200 x 32 with med to max details. Before on an Intel 520 OCed to 3.6GHz, eVga 6800GT and 1 gig PC3200 Geil ram I was pulling 5 to 20FPS in MC. Running the same settings. IF you are running any add ons turn them off when you do high end raids as it will help alittle.

Wicked Klown said:
With a A64 3500 Venice, Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe, eVga 7900GT and 2gigs OCZ Gx ram. I was pulling between 40 and 60FPS in MC running a res of 1600 x 1200 x 32 with med to max details. Before on an Intel 520 OCed to 3.6GHz, eVga 6800GT and 1 gig PC3200 Geil ram I was pulling 5 to 20FPS in MC. Running the same settings. IF you are running any add ons turn them off when you do high end raids as it will help alittle.

Im fine in general raiding. Im talkn about certain situations such as the AoE zerg that happends @ 20% Nefarian Kill. There are close to 100 mobs that come and must be AoE'd down. That situation is about the only time I lag. It is a very intense and detailed zerg.

--pak

Well then that would pretty much be the same as the old SS/TM PvPing. There was nothing out there to help as there was to much gonig on for a rig to keep up with. By the way what server do you play on and what side?

The requirements are really low for that game, I don't see why you would have problems......

System Requirements:

Windows
98/ME/2000/XP
800 MHz or higher CPU
256 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
4 GB or more of available hard drive space
DirectX 9.0c or above
56k or higher modem with an Internet connection
Mac
OS X 10.3.5
933 MHz or higher G4 or G5 processor
512 MB RAM or higher; DDR RAM recommended
ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 32 MB VRAM or more

Krome said:
The requirements are really low for that game, I don't see why you would have problems......

System Requirements:

Windows
98/ME/2000/XP
800 MHz or higher CPU
256 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
DirectX 9.0c or above
Mac
OS X 10.3.5
933 MHz or higher G4 or G5 processor
512 MB RAM or higher; DDR RAM recommended
ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 32 MB VRAM or more
Recommended specs have nothing to do with the type of encounters experienced during raids nor the performance impact of addons. I know with my rogue main, there's a lot of addons I need for max effectiveness but they make my system crawl during raids because they track a lot of stuff.

On the rig you see listed, the Nefarian rush doesn't make my computer beg like everyone elses, it runs smoothly. And I'm a priest, which means I'm still healing and watching heal meters while it's going on. Fine for me..

Pak, how many addon's are you runnin? I've found they are the main crippler of preformance in WoW. Try a complete clean install of the addons and only enable the essentials during raids.

Yeah, its my addons. I have over 100 addon folders. Rogue main aswell. But I do not think I could play without most of the addons I have. Way to spoiled every since beta cosmos.

--pak

Back