• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QOS? give me a real life example

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD4P4SwithFSB

I read is basically a mechanism for bussiness to give certain flows or traffics more priority or limit is priority, I imaging it refer to speed,information in the header and things like that... what would you do with it? I never heard and didnt' seem to need it before.

It's prioritization of certain data on the expense of other data: VoIP or game packets need to travel fast and avoid lag. Bulk downloads can have a lag of some seconds. So if you have congested it makes time critical data arriv on time

klingens said:
It's prioritization of certain data on the expense of other data: VoIP or game packets need to travel fast and avoid lag. Bulk downloads can have a lag of some seconds. So if you have congested it makes time critical data arriv on time
I get it so for example I'm downloading a huge iso and playing quake at the same time, you're saying I won't get any lag whatsoever because the game packets will transfer first and if there is room the other packets as well?

klingens said:
Not "no lag whatsoever", but certainly a lot less lag if done correctly, yes
in terms of lag... would it be better to close everything just ran the 1 thing you need? when you say a lot less lag u also say that the application with the highest priority can still get affected? what is a lot less from your experience?

well of course it would be better to run just one thing, but that isn't always possible, that's why there's QoS. As for the amount of effect it has on your other apps well you're still limited to your internet connection, so some compromise does have to be made.

I run QOS on my Smoothwall, without it, and bittorrent running, my pings are 900ms+, with it set right, i'm getting 100ms or less. Makes a big difference when browsing simultaniously.

moz_21 said:
I run QOS on my Smoothwall, without it, and bittorrent running, my pings are 900ms+, with it set right, i'm getting 100ms or less. Makes a big difference when browsing simultaniously.
Does QOS work the same for everyone??? i think it may depend on your ISP haa...? so moz... what ping would you get if u had just that one thing...?

AMD4P4SwithFSB said:
Does QOS work the same for everyone??? i think it may depend on your ISP haa...? so moz... what ping would you get if u had just that one thing...?

Which one thing? I get an 80ms average pinging google.com with an otherwise idle connection (QOS disabled). I also get that 80ms average with QOS on, idle connection. The difference is when the connection is under a heavy load (see above!).

QOS just prioritizes the stuff you transmit, not what you recieve. It prioritizes ACK and other TCP stuff, basically the stuff that says you recieved the data. If it can do that firstly, it gives an overall better feel and response time.

Last edited:
Back