• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive heating my case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

I ve been running a stable machine with several 120mm fans, and ducting for sim months now. I've recently noticed instability, and have had to drop my speed from 3450 to 3300mhz. I also noticed that the average temperatures have risen about 8deg's. Im happy that the cooling has not changed, and have even cleaned all dust out of the box. Only thing changed is i put in an SATA 300gig matrox, in place of a WD 250 ide. I noticed that this Hd get pretty hot, but would it account for such an increase?

It shouldn't increase the temp that much. Check to see how the room temperature has changed. It has been a hot summer after all. Another thing is that if you move your system around a lot, there is always the chance that AS5 could unsettle, or so I've been told. You may need to reapply AS5 and remount your heatsink.

Iv heard about AS5 unsettling after 6-12 months and that a fresh coat of it needs to be applied. I heard ceramique lasts longer than AS5 as well.

P.S. Moto, only 32 more minutes :) Thanks a bunch!

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
Iv heard about AS5 unsettling after 6-12 months and that a fresh coat of it needs to be applied. I heard ceramique lasts longer than AS5 as well.

P.S. Moto, only 32 more minutes :) Thanks a bunch!

No problem, enjoy! :D

I switched to Ceramique to see how it would perform and I'm happy with the results. It works well.

Back