• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or new build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mic360

Hi, Im new to the forums and have a few questions on either upgrading my system or tossing it all and building a new one if its not worth upgrading. This pc is used for web surfing and gaming (mostly W.O.W but i also like to play the occasional singleplayers). I have been getting random reboots for the past 2 months and then it got so bad that i cant even reinstal wow. I ran memtest for a while and came up with errors on both of my memory sticks, so i want to at least buy some new memory. I just want to know if its worth getting memory for this system or if i should just start a new build. I would also like to know if any of these parts are worth keeping. i really dont want to spend the money on a new system unless im so far behind on stuff that my parts are useless. thanks in advance.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (winchester)
Abit AV8
Crucial Ballistix DDR400 512mb x2 (1g)
BFG GeForce 6600gt
WD Caviar 80GB 7200 RPM
Maxtor 40GB
Creative SB Audigy 2
X-Connect® 500W ATX PSU - Titanium

I would say just upgrade the memory. If wow is the most system intensive game that you play, and the settings that you run it at now are fine, then you should be good with only new memory.

Id say you might want another HD too.. say 80 GB or higher.. since I know for me 40 GBs are tight fits if you game even with WOW and have a music collection and such on the side..

for WOW new memory would be fine. no need to do a whole upgrade If that's most of what you do

yeah another HDD would sound good 40gb is chokingly low

When do you see your next full build? If it is within a year or so, say when dx10 and vista come out like most people now days, you could start parting out less crucial components like a new monitor, mouse, keyboard, HDD, etc now if you want to. All of these you could use in your current system as well which would be nice.

Why don't you just get an RMA from Crucial? Doesn't the memory have a lifetime warranty?

When my Corsair memory screwed up after 2 years of use I was able to get an RMA and get it replaced. The whole thing took only 2 weeks.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Speed? Seek time lowers on a defragged and empty hdd. So game loads are much, much faster.

Uhm... Defrag the hard drive?

You can have a 40GB hard drive that spins at 10,000 RPMs or a 80GB which spins at 7200. Which is faster? Well, most likely the smaller one.

Size has almost nothing to do here, as far as I know.

Higher capacity drives have more dense data and if your only using a faction of it along the outside edge your performance will improve. it's all physics and how fast you can spin that platter to/past the head.

hi, thanks for the feed back. I actually have a 80gb wd and the 40gb maxtor is for storage. I decided on getting new memory,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145449
is this memory any good or is there something better i could get in its exact price range? dont really want to put any money into this system cause i would like to build a new one in about 6 months or so. thanks again..

I'd say you can't go wrong with Corsair. But if it doesn't work for whatever reason, they have some decent boards where you can talk things out and get an RMA. Lifetime warranty...

after my last post i actually called crucial and found out they do have a life time warrenty so im just gonna send um back and save some money for my new build.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell real world difference if you get a new hdd. I've never tried looking it up, but I doubt in normal daily computer usage, you'll be able to tell a difference between your old 40gb and a drive now.

i didnt go out and buy a new hd i had 2 hard drives for about a year now my main is a wd 80gb and i have a maxtor 40g for storage.

Well you certainly wont see a major jump from a 40gb to 80gb hdd if all the other factors are the same.

Back