• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

terminators at both ends? scsi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aftermath

Hello all.

My question is:
As well as terminating the ends of the internal cables must I terminate the external side?
Will i need to terminate the two external ports that i wont be using yet?
I have been getting a bit confulsed :confused: with what I have read on the web.

I have been collecting a mass of relatively old SCSI parts this week, its about time I got my hands dirty and got some hands on experience with this.

I have done PATA hardware raid before 10 and 5. The five was a bit slow in the writes but my controllers getting on a bit.

I have got a 2/4 channel controller card with a 266mhz Intel processor on board to do clever raid things with as well as 128mb cache ram (what was lacking from my old ata card)

I will be creating 4 raid 5 sets and from these creating two raid 50 sets.
I intend to put 3 drives of each 50 disk set.
channel 1) 3disk raid5 set1a + 3disk raid5 set2a
channel 2) 3disk raid5 set1b + 3disk raid5 set2b

And will strip sets 1a+1b etc

I am going to have the arrays split in this way because set2 will be slower + less frequently accessed

I did a test install, One cable, one drive and one terminator(internal) and all i got was a curser blinking and some flashing lights after mainboard posts, my diagnostic leds say its waiting for the ide/other disk controllers to signal ready.
the HP netraid-4m just makes patterns with its on board led set. they sort of chase each other along. no beeps no self test fail just nothing.

In semi related news I broke my graphics card again this time by being clumsy when installing the molex, snapping off a capacitor :eek: . However I fixed it by soldering it back on.
Thanks

There are termination jumpers on the cards that will take of that issue. I'd highly suggest spending some quality time with the card's manual as it has all the details you're after.

Ok thanks I had got confused by the terminating power section and clustering.
J1,J2, J7 & J8 were all installed so ill try again.
I have a feeling that although hp says the card is 33/64 it could be 66/64 like the adaptec I think its based on this would mean that my pci bus it was on is at 70mhz and that could be causing the card to hand while it self tests. I’m going to have to try it again now.

Thanks you saved me some ££s I hope.

70MHz is kinda sketchy even if it was for a 66MHz card; some of these enterprise cards just aren't tolerant of swing. Anyway, I did some looking and it is listed as a 33MHz, 64-bit card. That would definitely explain its lack of attention at POST.

yeah I have tried it at spec now. The slot should drop down to 33 mhz. Iv used 33 mhz cards in it before and it drooped down then.

Its still leaving me with only lights that run up and down the channel indicator LEDs so before i ask hp what they think I am going to try it in my server. Im just hoping ist some thing like a BIOS issue. there is a more recent one for my mainboard. as i have no flopy disk controller (i bust it dho) ill have to learn how to flash from a cd if it will recognize in the server.

edit:
It works when installed in to a 33/32 slot on my server. now im going to pull my workstation a part. i should have done thios days ago.
interestingly it does the same light patteren all the time. mabey this is because of it having no disks attached. if worst comes to worst ill have to use it in the old pIII.
thanks again.

edit:
Im having what seem to be bios problems i have updated the bios but my board still crashes before I can configure the drives.
I have created a new thread in the smp section hopeing some one who browses thats ection could give me some input.

the card now displays the message post sucsesfull.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=477162

Last edited:
Back