• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good AM2 cpu to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Im considering AM2 mainly to switch to DDR2. I dont need the top of the line proc and the game I play doesnt support dual core as we speak, so Ill stick with a single core. Just looking for a decen proc that can OC well. Im looking at the 3800+. For $110 @ newegg seems like a deal to me.

--pak

Well the only problem is that WoW sucks with dual core. With dual core it caps your FPS at 64 and some people complain about a "stuttering" when looking around. I have never owned a dual core, but many as well as blizzard, have verified this concern. I know dual core might shine in many other areas, but I only use my PC to play WoW and troll these forums for the most part.

--pak

I thought the AMD Dual Core optimizer and windows hotfix fixed the problem with WoW?

And also.. Would you be able to tell the difference between 64 FPS and 90 FPS? Most of the slow downs in WoW is caused by internet lag.

I say go for dual core, its the only way

Edit: You could even set WoW to run on one core when you start it up.. Just change the affinity

well the ****ty programmers at blizz had a fix, but they removed it cuz it caused other problems. GG blizz.

I guess it makes sense. So 3800x2?

all the sudden this is startn to get pricey.

--pak

Yeah, computers always get pricey ;)

But, the extra money for the dual core is really worth it IMO.

I just came off a single core 3800 and even though it was fast, multiple programs bogged it down.

So yea, X2 3800

I think its going to be hard to get an avg cuz they just came out. Take a look at the other post, I know someone is getting 700mhz on top of stock settings. I think its a 4400 or something though.

and just an update, I think im going to end up just going 939. My whole reason of going am2 is for more memory bandwidth. And honestly as of right now I cant seem to get very many strait answers. I do know this. A few of my buddies are get 6k+ mb/s on their 939 systems. There is also a post of someone who has some really nice ddr2 ram in the memory forums and hes just getting a little over 7k. The price difference doesnt seem to be worth the move to am2 right now, for me atleast. I think Ill take advantage of all the people selling their 939 setups for am2.

--pak

From what I've seen, 2.5GHz is a safe number. Then again, you may run into a lack luster chip and only get 2.3. My chip for example won't go above 2.4GHz, period. not even more voltage will help it.

I think the best way to look at it is like this. If you are planning on doing a nice OC anyways, get the x2 3800, you'll save yourself money and get a nice clock speed, of course there are always those stubborn chips as someone already mentioned. If you don't plan on OC get whatever you can afford. I wasn't planning on OC so I got the X2 5000. Just got my w/c setup, and now I want to OC lol. So we'll see what happens.

Back