• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to wire up ethernet at house?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Need some advice here-

I just bought an Asus XT8 router and I want to install one router downstairs and one router upstairs,

1) My house has pre-wired CAT5, however Im not sure that its CAT5e...is it worth considering hardwiring the 2nd mesh router upstairs if its just CAT5?

Here is how the wiring looks. I'm not use what exactly all this stuff is, but I assume I could removing the blue wiring and attach the jack port and then put a switch here?
CAT5.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind...they are telephone cables, scratch that. I'd have to run all new wires which isnt worth it. Ignore thread/delete.

2) If its just CAT5 and not CAT5e, is the 100MB line not worth the work and just run the 2nd mesh router wirelessly?
Thoughts/advice?

So long as it is cat 5 cable or better you'll be fine. You can repunch the ends of the cable with Ethernet jacks and still use it for phone if need be. Phone will use the center pairs of the jack. Rj11 fits in rj45 just fine fyi.

I dont need phones - but you're saying I can put RJ45's on the end and it will work?

I just tested my wifi using my iphone.

Right in front of my TP Link router I get 10mb/s and thats the best it gets. At the other side of my house probably 30ft away I get 0.4mb/s. Hardwire I am getting 180mb/s.
Explains all my issues.

Hoping I dont even need to hardwire now I've seen how poor bandwidth its doing.

Back