• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cat6 shielded cable terminating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stephend161

Hi guys so new user here not much of an expert and need some help…

I have just run a 100 meter length of cat6 shielded cable from my fathers summer house down to his main gates at his property as he wants internet down by the gates to use for security system…

The cable that was run was a cat6 shielded cable with 8 copper cores (quite thick cores)

I bought the rj45 terminals to terminate each end of the cable but the cores on the cat6 cable all seem
To be too thick with the shielded housing to go inside the rj45 terminals to crimp..

I am assuming the rj45 terminals i have bought are just for standard indoor ethernet cabling so i have two questions

1) can anyone point me to the correct rj45 terminals or names of for me to purchase the correct terminals

2) seen as we don't need any high internet speeds to be run through this cat6 cable would i be able to cut the ends off a standard ethernet cable say about 4 inches from the rj45 connector strip back the wire and solder to my cat6 to technically then terminate both ends..
basically doing this

CERRXIAN RJ45 Male to 8 Pin Screw Block Terminal solderless Cable,30CM Cat7 Cat6 Cat5 Cat5e Ethernet solderless Extension Cable https://amzn.eu/d/bDrNL3a

But instead of screwing each end i solder each end..

Sorry if this all sounds a bit stupid im not very experienced with networking like this and looking for a simple fix..

The cat6 cable has already been buried into the ground so we need to use this cable now and terminate each end..
The plan at the gate end is to then plug into an outdoor ethernet to wifi extender to wirelessly have internet at gates for ring bell and so on

I ran shielded CAT6 solid core in my home. I used these plugs, note they only work for solid core wire.

Plug

Cable

I believe for 6a you need to have plugs made specifically for 6a, something like this.

You didn't mention specifically which RJ45 you purchased, so I'm assuming they were standard CAT6 compatible, not CAT6a compatible.

I ran shielded CAT6 solid core in my home. I used these plugs, note they only work for solid core wire.

Plug

Cable

I believe for 6a you need to have plugs made specifically for 6a, something like this.

You didn't mention specifically which RJ45 you purchased, so I'm assuming they were standard CAT6 compatible, not CAT6a compatible.
Hello thanks for the reply..
These are the terminals i have purchased.

Splinktech RJ45 Cat5e Cat6 Cat6e Cat7 RJ11 RJ12 Crimper Wire Stripper Cutter, Cable Tester Lead Testing ADSL DSL Connection, 10 Pcs Connectors End, 10x Crimp Boots LAN Tool Ethernet Network Kit https://amzn.eu/d/bRjphSK

Which are too small for this shielded wiring..

Hello thanks for the reply..
These are the terminals i have purchased.

Splinktech RJ45 Cat5e Cat6 Cat6e Cat7 RJ11 RJ12 Crimper Wire Stripper Cutter, Cable Tester Lead Testing ADSL DSL Connection, 10 Pcs Connectors End, 10x Crimp Boots LAN Tool Ethernet Network Kit https://amzn.eu/d/bRjphSK

Which are too small for this shielded wiring..
You'll need to purchase terminals specifically for CAT6a shielded cable. There are also reviews stating the purchased terminals do not work for CAT6a.

Dammit ye i see that now
Maybe i should have read that product more.. i just assumed..

Would one of these each end work as i have a few that i can use..
Would these cause any problems

Maxhood RJ45 Screw Terminal Adaptor Connector, RJ45 8p8c Female Jack to 8 Pin Screw Terminal Connector Breakout Board Cable for Cat7 Cat6 Cat5 Cat5e Ethernet Extender CCTV DVR Network Adapter 12inch https://amzn.eu/d/hTsdk02

I, personally, would never use one of them. I would get the correct crimp terminals. The one you link isn't rated for 6a either, by the way.

I, personally, would never use one of them. I would get the correct crimp terminals. The one you link isn't rated for 6a either, by the way.
Thanks for the reply.
This cable is only going to be used to send internet down to the gate for a camera the 6a standard will actually not even get used to its full potential (we just got the 6a cable cheap and was for outdoor use) the ring camera we are going to use i think needs about 2-5mb really thats all the cable needs to be able to cope with.

I will give them a go and see what happens and if i need to get proper terminals then i will bite the bullet and get some.

Thanks for you help its been much appreciated

Back