Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

How to run OS X on an XP machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 07:32 AM Thread Starter   #1
crofty83

How to run OS X on an XP machine?

Does anyone know how to run OS X on a Windows XP machine. I did a google search and found a few sites telling me to use a emulation program called PearPC but these articles were written in 05. Are there any more up to date methods of doing this.

Thanks
crofty83 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-06, 09:38 AM   #2
Gnufsh

Doing so would violate the EULA for OSX.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Gnufsh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-06, 10:16 AM   #3
Captain Newbie
Senior Django-loving Member

Very funny.

Doing so requires you to engineer around the fact that OS X requires a Trusted Platform Module (which you don't have), and (right or wrong), circumvention of such a protection is illegal under the DMCA.

An interesting project would be an implementation of Apple's API for 32- and 64-bit x86 Linux, which, while it would take longer, would be much appreciated.

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Captain Newbie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-06, 05:26 PM   #4
smokie mcpott

osx on amd64 has been done

Old 09-20-06, 05:31 PM Thread Starter   #5
crofty83

I dont know much about this but I was under the impression that OSX wouldnt run on a windows machine because they used different CPU architecture. However now that Apple are now using Intel CPU's doesn't this make the task easier.

Although I could be wrong
crofty83 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-06, 06:21 PM   #6
benbaked
Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie mcpott
osx on amd64 has been done
Not legally.

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | i7-4770K | EVGA 680GTX FTW | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
ASUS Maximus Formula SE | QX6700 | Gigabyte 4350 | OCZ Gold 2x4GB DDR2 | Intel X25-M 80GB
PS4 | Wii U | Xbox 360 (Zephyr) with WD3200BEVT 320GB | PS3 fat with WD1600BEVT 160GB | HBC-equipped Wii

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
benbaked is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-06, 06:32 PM   #7
Sir. BOBSONATOR

Oh, so that t0rr3nt thats floating around isnt one of apple's products?

||DFI-NF4 ULTRA-D||POWERCOLOR X1950PRO 512mb PCI-E||AMD64 3200+ Venice@(250 x 10)@1.45v CIPW W/Scythe Ninja||Corsair Value Select 1GB(2x512)@216 2.5/3/3/7-1T||Antec SP 2.0 500W Dual 12vRails||XP PRO SVP 2||SONY DVD-RW||Lian-Li PC-7BII|WD SATA 80GIG 7200RPM||
Toothpaste + Vasaline=Thermal Paste Adventures!
Ghetto Ventilation!!!!
Sir. BOBSONATOR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-06, 07:07 PM   #8
smokie mcpott

i never stated it was legal...i just said its been done, i have run it on one of my machines before, and it was nice, but it felt so .... wrong... no, dirty is the word im lookin for

MODS is it ok to point people in the right direction, just in order to educate themselves?

Old 09-20-06, 10:44 PM   #9
Captain Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie mcpott
i never stated it was legal...i just said its been done, i have run it on one of my machines before, and it was nice, but it felt so .... wrong... no, dirty is the word im lookin for

MODS is it ok to point people in the right direction, just in order to educate themselves?
While you'll get an official response fairly soon, the answer will almost certainly be no.

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Old 09-21-06, 01:45 PM   #10
snafumaster
Software Jedi

Don't ask questions about stuff that is illegal in the forums. Just hit your favorite search engine. There is tons of info out there on this subject and others like it.

I must have a problem with all of my Windows machines...they never seem to crash.
snafumaster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-06, 10:27 AM   #11
Asr940

I was under the impression that apple was going to be making there next version usable on windows machines. Is that not so?

Note: legally usable
Asr940 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-06, 01:39 PM   #12
smokie mcpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr940
I was under the impression that apple was going to be making there next version usable on windows machines. Is that not so?

THAT would be sweet, i would totally jump on the OSXwagon then

Old 09-23-06, 01:53 PM   #13
Captain Newbie

You do realize that 25% of the reason why OS X is so stable is that Apple maintains control of the platform, right?

Strong * Focused * Safe
Old 09-23-06, 02:43 PM   #14
snafumaster
Software Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Newbie
You do realize that 25% of the reason why OS X is so stable is that Apple maintains control of the platform, right?
I agree with that completely...well about it being the reason...not so much about the blanket statement that it is stable. Apples freeze and crash as much as Windows in my experience. But try to go to download.com et al and grab a free tool that will asist a novice to fix the issue.

I must have a problem with all of my Windows machines...they never seem to crash.
Old 09-23-06, 03:13 PM   #15
damarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr940

I don't think so at this point. Although I think it would benefit end users to have two x86 OSes to choose from, that were fairly compatible. Apple would see a huge boost in sales I'd think, and MS would be scrambling to make something with quality to keep it's customers.

Antec P180B | Seasonic S12-500 | ASUS P5B Deluxe | E6600 C2D | ATI HD5770 | OCZ Reaper PC6400 2x2GB | 2TB total storage | 2x HP 23" LCD | Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 and G5 DELUXE

My HEAT

damarble is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-06, 03:58 PM   #16
Captain Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafumaster
I agree with that completely...well about it being the reason...not so much about the blanket statement that it is stable. Apples freeze and crash as much as Windows in my experience. But try to go to download.com et al and grab a free tool that will asist a novice to fix the issue.
The other 50% has to do with the fact that Apple is a smaller ship and so can turn tighter...and the remaining 25% has to do with the fact that OS X is based upon a *nix, which actually enforces proper permissions, separation of processes, etc.

Strong * Focused * Safe
Old 09-23-06, 04:43 PM   #17
klingens

Apple is a HARDWARE company. They make their profits from HARDWARE.

You will never see an OSX running on generic (Dell)PCs. If they made that possible, two things would happen: their hardware sales go to almost zero, bankrupting them. And if that's not enough, MS would crush them utterly just to make sure there is no competitor to Windows/Office
klingens is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-06, 05:09 AM   #18
Cheator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofty83
I dont know much about this but I was under the impression that OSX wouldnt run on a windows machine because they used different CPU architecture. However now that Apple are now using Intel CPU's doesn't this make the task easier.

Although I could be wrong
They do now use x86 and it is done all the time. It isn't impossible, its quite simple really, but its a matter of legallity and cannot be discussed here

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, Nvidia 8600m GT, 250gb hdd
Gears: Asus Eee PC 701, 1 GB DDR, Win XP

My Heatware!
"Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together." - Malpine Walis
Cheator is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-06, 01:21 PM   #19
snafumaster
Software Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator
They do now use x86 and it is done all the time. It isn't impossible, its quite simple really, but its a matter of legallity and cannot be discussed here
Seconded. I have a pdf with lots of info and have seen many screen-caps that show it. I'd rather not discuss that more here. You can IM me if you are interested in more facts on that.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications