• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless range solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beakman

Registered
Okay; I am trying to pick up a wireless connection inside of a building. If I walk about 100 feet away I get signal. I tried multiple easy solutions such as high-end wireless cards; no luck. I think the router simply isn't outputting enough. I have an idea of running an ethernet cable from the building to some sort of external wireless device that picks up signal; or... use a usb wireless device and run USB wire. The problems are... how can I get 100-200 feet of USB cable for a reasonable price (or 200 feet period without 20+ extension cables)? -- and with the ethernet cable idea... how will I get power to this external device?

Basically, I'm 200 feet away from a connection and need to move the device picking up the signal to the router. Any ideas how I can do this and stay under $100. I was thinking about ordering a wardriving kit from JFtech but I think the router just isn't good enough.

New router or changing it's location isn't an option.

This is my laptop by the way getting the connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Beakman

USB isn't going to make that kind of distance; design specs call for a max distance of 5 meters between repeaters/hubs. Ethernet will work, however, and you could very well purchase a power-over-ethernet kit to shoot the juice to your AP over the same ethernet cable that carries the data. An injector & splitter kit will run about $40-50.

Do what snugglebear suggested. Get a Power-over-Ethernet wireless bridge to pick up the connection, and pipe it over the ethernet cable back towards your workstation.

Back