• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It looked flat.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

Well I had some spare time to burn today so I checked my Conroe to make sure it wasn't concave or convex.. When I installed it the first time it looked OK to me.. But I was bored so I removed it and ran it over some 600 grit.. Well what do you know?? It wasn't as flat as I thought..

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 422
rrrr why cant they make them flat off the get go? i mean if zalman can get their VF900-CU's literally as flat and as mirror like as possible why cant intel do the same.... that would be way cool to have a E6600 stock from the factory with a perfectly flat (as close to perfect as a machine can get... so PRETTY DAMN FLAT) and way mirror like...

Well anyway, to cut to the quick, after lapping the whole thing, no not to a mirror finish, my load temps dropped 7-10c.. Not too bad.

C'mon, you can't lap something here and not show pics! :) That's a nice temperature drop though, well worth the effort. :beer:

OnDborder said:
It wasn't as flat as I thought..

Man, that chip is curled up like potato chip. Worst I've ever seen! Did you get it totally flat wothout wearing through the edges?

That is a good drop, but a decent drop was expected considering it looked like 80% of the surface wasn't making contact. I'd almost say that would be an rma, but once you took the sandpaper to it I think that avenue was closed.

heh ^^^...
Has anybody removed the IHS like some have with the A64s? Wondering if its a bad idea with a conroe...

Angry said:
heh ^^^...
Has anybody removed the IHS like some have with the A64s? Wondering if its a bad idea with a conroe...

I know one guy that TRIED... didn't work out so good for him.

somewhat hard to make out, but this is my 6800:
(lapped it 2x days ago)

STOCK:

pict0408ly3.jpg

LAPPED:

pict0412ms2.jpg

it started out very similar to OnDborder's IHS but not quite as bad

i lost the stepping right about the time the copper started to show around the edges.

EDIT:

LINK to thread on removing IHS over on XS
NOTE: misterodster has killed 2x conroes now :eek: :cry:

Last edited:
nd4spdbh2 said:
rrrr why cant they make them flat off the get go? i mean if zalman can get their VF900-CU's literally as flat and as mirror like as possible why cant intel do the same.... that would be way cool to have a E6600 stock from the factory with a perfectly flat (as close to perfect as a machine can get... so PRETTY DAMN FLAT) and way mirror like...

Because that would add to the manufacturing cost, and I suspect it would add quite a bit.

what we have now: cpus are produced at the fab with a reasonably-to-very-good heatspreader 'flatness' and smoothness.

what you're talking about: more space is required at the fab for special surfacing equipment, or assuming the process of attaching spreader to chip assembly isn't that stressful, at the facility where the spreaders are made. time-per-chip is possibly added, as well as another loop in the quality control circuit... for a feature that 5% of the customer base will care about, but all must pay for.

It just doesn't make sense for them to do it. The processor in the OP would very likely have had a nice long happy life with the stock HSF @ stock speeds with no lapping, which is what Intel really cares about.

does anyone offer this service? - I would really like to do mine but lack the confidence to do it myself.. Would much rather pay someone to do it that I can hold accountable LOL...

Maybe a better idea would be to just get a hold of some old chips and practice ehh?

surjer said:
does anyone offer this service? - I would really like to do mine but lack the confidence to do it myself.. Would much rather pay someone to do it that I can hold accountable LOL...

Maybe a better idea would be to just get a hold of some old chips and practice ehh?
How could you fail at lapping?

Back