• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A7M266- CPU fan will not run anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChrisSkinR

Problem:
After swapping parts in and out of a system I built a few years ago to troubleshoot another box, my CPU fan quit running. It is an ASUS A7M266 motherboard, and the system starts up fine and what not, but the fan will not start now, and the CPU will overheat if I have it on for more than a minute or two. I have tried to reset the BIOS to defaults, I cannot seem to get control of any fan speed or anything. Everything else is working fine, but the fan just shut off when i nudged the board while it was on (entire set up was out of case, in re troubleshooting part swap). I am in the process of letting the CMOS battery die, any other ideas to perhaps get the motherboard to run system defaults or reset it physically? The fan works on other boards. Thanks for all your help, will keep posted on CMOS restart.
-Chris

Last edited:
Have you tried connecting the cpu fan to a different fan controller on the board? Maybe the cpu fan controller on the board is dead or the cpu fan is dead.

Try testing the fan on another fan controller on the board or connect it to the psu using a 3pin to molex adapter. If it's dead just replace the fan.

Btw, Welcome to O/C ! :welcome:

Tebore said:
Seems like the connector is blown to me. What kind of fan was it? A lot of High Amperage fans will blow fan headers on most motherboards.

True indeed. Me thinks the age did it's damage, not the high amperage fan as back in those days of the 266's the fans were low cfm's.

^^ May not be the case. But do you the remember the Delta 38? That was the king of the hill of fans when most heatsinks could only take 60mm fans. That thing took like 2amps or so, it was the serial killer of fan headers.

Back