• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

486 & Seti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I have a couple of working 486 machines that I'd like to set up for the Basher team conglomerate. Unfortunately, these both have Win3.1. One is a DX33; the other is a DX2/66 or 80 (w/ socket 3). I know it's not much. :)

Is there any client I can run on these without having to find a 95 upgrade? And if so, can I transfer a WU from floppy? No, I haven't checked the S@H FAQ yet. I had to interrupt my little girl's visit to divastars.com just to type this. Any help will be appreciated... even from chawken's team. ;)

Nope - Seti won't run on 3.1 end of story. You'll have to use 95, and yes you can transfer a wu with a floppy. Gotta tell you though, I had a 486 33 here that I benchmarked for the hell of it. I finished 1 unit in about 3 weeks, but I suppose that's fitting for the slow crowd :)

Godfodda said:
I have a couple of working 486 machines that I'd like to set up for the Basher team conglomerate. Unfortunately, these both have Win3.1. One is a DX33; the other is a DX2/66 or 80 (w/ socket 3). I know it's not much. :)

Is there any client I can run on these without having to find a 95 upgrade? And if so, can I transfer a WU from floppy? No, I haven't checked the S@H FAQ yet. I had to interrupt my little girl's visit to divastars.com just to type this. Any help will be appreciated... even from chawken's team. ;)

TC is correct - you have to be running at least win95. And was that a poke at the Collective?:eh?: You shall be absorbed.:burn:

You could always throw Linux on it.... Never ran SETI on a Linux box, but it can't be that hard.... Right?

And yes you can transfer WUs by floppy. I don't know how well it works if you are using a chaching program (though in theory, it should work fine), but once your WU is done, copy result.sah into the SETI directory of the pooter with the internet, and SETI should immedietly send it off and continue processing the WU that it was just working on from where it left off....

Mind you, I've never done this, but that's what the FAQ says...

JigPu

Thanks for the info. Seems like it might be better just to pick up an overdrive processor for the sock3 board. Might spend a few bucks on a win95 upgrade or go with Linux. I do have an older version of Mandrake around here somewhere.

I'll work on that machine first, and see what I can do (if anything) with the other later. Thanks guys.

I've got an unused copy of 95 lying around. You could have it if you don't tell Bill :)

JigPu said:
You could always throw Linux on it.... Never ran SETI on a Linux box, but it can't be that hard.... Right?

And yes you can transfer WUs by floppy. I don't know how well it works if you are using a chaching program (though in theory, it should work fine), but once your WU is done, copy result.sah into the SETI directory of the pooter with the internet, and SETI should immedietly send it off and continue processing the WU that it was just working on from where it left off....

Mind you, I've never done this, but that's what the FAQ says...

JigPu

I have done this numerous times. It is pretty save, though don't delete the result.sah untill you see the All data sent. Those 486's should give you between 104-200hours time per work unit.

TC said:
I've got an unused copy of 95 lying around. You could have it if you don't tell Bill :)

Works for me. Thanks! And I think Billy is a bit busy hocking XBoxes right now anyway. :D

While we're at it, if anyone needs some 72pin SIMMs for these old beasts, I have a few laying around here that *seem* to test fine. Either my math is very bad or I have some at 3 Meg and some at 7 Meg (?!?). Just ran them through a POST. Don't really want to play with them since I've found a pair of 16's. The 16Meggers are staying here, though. ;)

I never could get a caching proggy to work correctly when using the "floppy-transfer" method. Was it just me?

Back