• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Distro for networking pro's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello People,

So I am like a total noobe when it comes to linux and stuff. Can someone please tell me what linux or unix distro has all the network security tools already built-in?

Also, the distro must have a 'live' version.

I am looking to do wireless network surveys, penertration testing and general network security checks.

Any help is welcomed with er...er....thank u?

I used redhat, ubuntu and knoppix and some other one but they dont have the tools I was looking for.

I know I can dowload and install all the apps manually but I am trying to find a distro that has everything already integrated.

Thank u for ur advice.

Since you don't know anything about the OS you want to use, how can you do any sort of penetration testing and security checking?

Hello Menace...

OOOO....thank u for the links. I will have a look at them.

What side of the river? Er...u could potentially find me in Westminster, London Bridge or Bond Street during the week....like rest of the 'city' people:)

Dont worry babes, if you use the Jubilee line I am sure you have seen me. I am the one who had looked confused, tired, underpaid (I think) and way under...how do u say a word that means no one pays attention to you unless its based on sex?

Kiln...I was not born with knowledge that I have now, like everyone else, I learn or will learn. Linux is an OS. If it was that hard to learn then no 1 would use it right? Oh...and u sound so negative...u a linux fanboy? U sound so sexist...anyways...not one to start screaming...I am sure ur a nice person...right? (that was not a trick question;-)

Last edited:
We already have enough script kiddies, we don't need more. And if it's professional use, there are more than enough snakeoil salesmen in the security industry too.

Dont worry Klin...I dont want your job;-) I am happy with mine. As for salesmen...ooo.....dont they just get to u?

I use Backtrack regularly on my works laptop for numerous things. I have some personal fun with it too, but mostly business use. it has all the tools you need for the most part built in and there are some ok guides to roll your own version of backtrack too. I would give that a try.

dl std...has everything I was looking for. Has a quick go at it. Seems to have everything I was hoping for and some other kool stuff.

Now I need to get to grips with the cli inside out. Got myself a few beginners pdf's. Hopefully I will be able to get my work done while learning the cli at the same time.

Thank u for reco'ing the std distro....oooo.....sand....kalt....I could blow u kisses all day if I was not busy:)

just curious, what network security tools were/are you most interested in and why? Or do you not really have an idea of specific tools, but just general areas of networking in mind? My knowledge of network security is limited to firewalls and permissions pretty much, so I'm just wondering what else there is to worry about.

Originally, networking tools were the only use I could find for Linux because there were so many that didn’t even have a Windows equivalent or cost insane $$$$. I spent hours setting up SuSE configurations from packaged CDs. It wasn’t very newbie friendly as I had to get what I wanted during the install or I had to start all over.

I have been away from Linux a while, but have returned with the friendlier distros like Knoppix and Ubuntu. The Knoppix DVD has just about anything you would want, but I only like it as a live “CD”. I installed Xubuntu on a sub-notebook and fell in love. I easily added any application I needed and if I could do it…anyone can. I now have a supper-portable tool I can easily tote around the huge campus I support (and it didn’t cost a dime…for the software anyway).

Back