• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling on Systems Engineers | Data Center | INFOSEC People <--------

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedarkdad3

Registered
Looking for people with "real world enterprise experience" that understand intermediate to advanced INFOSEC Roles | Routing | networking and do it on day to day basis.

Hopefully it will weed out the average end user.

I have an HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10 Server

Intel Xeon® Scalable 4110

32GB RAM (eventually 192gb)

x8 WD 6TB RED NAS Drives

nVidia P2000

I have been sitting on the server build for almost 1-year and I am no looking to migrate my data from 3 NAS devices to this one server. It sitting on a all Cisco Meraki Network with Meraki switches | AP and Meraki firewalls (all in home | home office)

I have ONE goal , well one ask for this. I want it to run PLEX & Utilize an nVidia P2000 for all the 4k content I have. Aside from that I dont care about "vm's" I may want some down the line. I know I'll want at least one VM running windows server 2016 as I have a license for it already.

I am looking into FREEnas due to ZFS architecture & the fact it runs BSD under the hood. I just got done working on a project with Red Hat Enterprise so I really do miss unix in my life. Only reason I run windows its for gaming. Even then I think my new (PC build) separate topic is going to have unix and windows partition .

I am looking for people that have scaled this out in past 12 months and that can give me some feedback on FREEnas. Not just linked me to a wiki or youtube.

I have a server with dual xeons running esxi and freenas in a VM. Until recently the Plex plugin in freenas was my primary. I recently setup a separate Ubuntu box with a GTX 1650 super for transcoding my 4k and such media for Plex.

I don't think you need someone that has enterprise information security experience... Mostly just a person that runs a decent homelab.

Yeah...no infosec, nor networking required here. Most home networks are either flat, or have a couple VLANs, and in probably 99.999% of cases, a single router (actual router to get between VLANs that is, not wireless routers peppered all over the place).

That said, while I'm not using freenas, I am using an ESXi host with PMS in a VM, passing my Areca controller and 1660 Ti directly to the VM. The former I will pull back to allow for shared storage at some point, but the card will stay as-is. The issue is that when the VM reboots, the PLEX VM loses direct access to the vid card for reasons yet unknown to me. It requires a host reboot to get it back. Something to be aware of if you're looking to do something similar.

It's a dual 2967 v2 rig with 64GB memory. 8x 3TB WD Red in RADI50 off said Areca.

All UBNT gear for this network.

So after typing that all out, can't help you in any way on FreeNAS as I've never used it. I'm more...traditional I suppose.

Speaking of infosec, your website has a crap cert.

If you are familiar with Linux, you could always go the route of running ESXi and passing in a (non-RAID) controller to a virtual machine to run ZFS. One of my PowerEdge R710 servers is setup this way: ESXi 6.7, with a virtual machine running CentOS 7 with ZFS. Most of my devices use Kodi as a media player (with a dedicated SQL server to share information), but I do have Plex running in a separate virtual machine on my second PowerEdge R710 with Hyper V on Server 2016.

ESXi makes it very easy to pass through PCIe devices. Hyper V does not without a huge headache.

If you go the ZFS route, it is important the virtual machine running ZFS has direct access to the disks. Adding in layers (RAID controllers without passthrough, virtual disks on the hypervisor level) greatly impact how ZFS functions, increasing your chance of data loss or impacting performance.

No one likes docker for plex? it's got an official image (built by the plex folks themselves) as well as many community built images. Not that this add anything in terms of the OP's quest or anything (except another possible way to set up PMS) , just curious why VM instead of docker.

Back