• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funny Behaviour/Wierd People

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

I am having a chat about GPUs. I was positive on 7900XTX, it's about 6% slower than 4090 whilst 37% cheaper (specifically CoD MW 4K rastaman). I think that's a good show. In some games the XTX is a fair bit slower than the 4090; obviously those games suit or have been optimised for the nVidia architecture. Some games are poorly optimsed for PC as they were console ports. Even though the PC, X-Box & PS share AMD64/x64 CPUS, RDNA GPUs but no one says hey Microsoft/Intel/AMD/nVidia sort out The Last of Us on PC, it's hey Mr Game Developer fix game to run well on PC. I don't understand why they blame AMD when a game doesn't run as well on RDA3 as well on Ada Lovelace. It's down to the programmer. What am I missing what don't i see/understand? I'm trying to understand these people...

For example I am writing an application it target a 4K@55 inches for command, control and communications of a production via a web-browser. It will not run well on a tablet because the resolution and screen size is too small. Until Apple support 4K on 55 inch tablet it ain't going to run well. At a later when the client is willing to spend the money I will write them a native iOS app. I don't blame Apple, I accept it's down to the way I wrote the software, when the users pays for the tablet optimisation they will have that..

Who's blaming AMD? Do these people know what they are talking about? I see blame both ways... they both have programs to work with devs to optimize on their hardware....It's money changing hands. NV's TWIMTBP program and w/e AMD's is called.

Drivers are a part of the equation too...

...what, exactly are you asking??

It isn't all "down to the programmer" WRT raytracing, Nvidia clearly has superior RT capabilities. Whether or not that's important is a different debate entirely.

games depending on how they are made/programmed can be either more GPU or cpu dependent. being around as long as i and many others have there is not much choice in game engines today. only 3 being used, ID engine(what ever the latest is) only i know of being Doom, there might be others maybe newer Wolfenstein games? now the 2 of the most popular vs ID, is Crytek and Unreal. I am pretty sure most if not all AAA titles are on unreal engine. now this subject could get really deep if you wanted but that would mean me spending alot of time reading. LOL

older games had their own engine made or tailor made for them by them. prime example is Tribes 2, no other game does what it does. while you have your custom maps and it has its boundary, you can go out side of it. the engine will then randomly generate its own terrain, as you keep moving or as more aptly known ski'ing . i can tell you towards the end of the games life, when hacks started to come out. i could ski to infinity, the moment i activated the sniper rifle in the game. i would be killed by the aim botter using the sniper rifle, i could ski out to 2k - 3k meters away from our base/fly and get tagged like that. that is really around the point botting/hacking in games took off.
Savage, another engine ground up for its style of RTS/FPS game. with a melee system like nothing you have ever played or will play today. game was broken by one thing if you were like me and loved the ballista. the game was built around a 60fps lock or by default in the engine v_sync enabled. when i disabled v_sync in the engine to get max fps from my video card. i could spin the ballista like nothing, people thought i was cheating. i walked them through the commands to due, many complained they couldn't do it. they said i was using something to make it faster, well we had different video cards. granted these people hung onto their ati 9700's like we held onto our 1060 6gb cards(my card was a NV and 2 gens newer then the 9700). at the time i also had a CRT monitor that could do 120hz at 1024x786, my fps was hoppin! since they could not spin that fast i then told them to lower the max fps in the game, it wound up slowing the spin down so slow. also now because of my un capped fps i could block like a mofo in the melee system. each class had its on block width(if you will, by the hit box), humans were the only ones that could block/beasts had leap. a block would stun the beast for a sec or two for you to land a hit or two if you were lucky. human class nomad had one of the widest blocks, so they told me or still say. i could as a fully leveled up nomad, take out fully leveled out predators(largest class of beasts).
HomeWorld, this was the first of its kind RTS. a in space 360 movement with squad formations, engine built from the ground up. game could be used in either software(aka cpu)/DX/OpenGL modes. depending on the card you got better performance in opengl or DX, i found the nv cards to be better in OpenGL. while subjective it also looked better to me but granted it would have been a small difference. that is if you look at the quality of the texture map and models of the ships. Some years back HW/HW2 got remastered, using i believe the Unreal engine. to me it was the worst thing they ever did to that game. in the first game you could hit space bard for a instant zoom in and out of the location in space. i found in the remastered one, no matter what i did, i never did the same thing. with the way they did things in the remastered i found the game un-playable. if i could still run HW on current windows i would to replay it.

With out more digging those are the other game engines that really stand out. since the gaming at large is only 2 engines, it does come down to not only driver optimization but engine optimization as well. even if its the same engine say unreal, on one card it could run great no problems. on the other could run a bit or even much worse, it does come to what i said before. while it is not fair to the gaming community at large, it comes down to "who we partnered with" or "how much money they gave us". i may have to take a break from gaming to dig back in time. To see how many different game engines there were vs now.

Back