• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meatshake

Registered
Hello, This is my first post and my first DIY watercooling set up, I've got a pretty complex set up, so here it is-

Pumps-
One Swiftech MCP655 Pump (317 GPH)
Radiators-
Two Innovatek Konvekt-O-Matic ULTRA with the upgrade kits
One 120mm DD Black Ice Xtreme
One Black Ice Micro II Dual 80mm
1/2" tubing for all of this by the way
240 watt cpu peltier
I was thinking of getting the Little River g5 silver, if the guy will email me back about it :p
For my VGA, I've got a 7950 so I'm going to go with the Danger Den one of those, if it's out yet.
For my chipset, I was going with Silverprop Cyclone NexusLX if it will work on the asus P5W, which I'm not sure about
Three Koolace HDD coolers HD 55 L06(1/4")
Two RAM 30 V06s, Cooling 4 sticks of PC 800 DDR2 ram (1/4")
DD Dual 5.25 Drive bay resevoir

AND now my questions.

First off, Should I use a second pump after the g5, becuase it causes a massive pressure drop, or so I've heard. But wouldn't it mess it up becuase I only have one impigment type waterblock, if that makes any sense.
Lets say 10 was the initial output pressure of the pump, and lets also say that I was only cooling the vga and the cpu
Pump1>Radiator>CPU>Pump2>VGA>Resevoir>Pump1
10 8 4 10 8 6 10 (Improvised numbers)
Would that be better then
Pump1>Radiator>CPU>VGA etc..
10 8 4 2 etc (Also improvised)
Wouldn't the pressure drop cause a lack of preformence in the proceeding waterblocks?

Secondly, Would it matter the order in which I cool my parts? Since I've got multiple radiators, should I cool the cpu, then go back to another radiator, then cool the ram, then back again, then back and forth between my four radiators and my five waterblocks so it would look somthing like this

Pump1> Passive Radiator>CPU(Peltier 240 watt)> OTHER passive Radiator> VGA> single 120mm>Chipset>dual 80mm>HDD >RAM>resevoir>pump1

I think it would help, theoretically, I have no "fact" or benchmarks to back this up, as I am just a noob, so to speak.
If the radiators can only get the water up to ambient room temp, and assuming that one radiator can do that, then why make the water go through multiple radiators that aren't even cooling/removing heat. why not cool, then heat, then cool, then heat the water. Heating being waterblocks and cooling being a radiator. If this dosen't make any sense, I'll put it in clearer words.

Last edited:
i don't think you need to cool your ram or hard-drives with water. just gets some silent fan's on e'm. they work just as well, if not better.

but since you are using a pelt. there will be more heat where the cpu is than without the pelt. (im pretty sure im correct by saying this)

so i say go to cpu than to the rad, than to everything else. than to maybe another rad before getting to the cpu again.

i dunno the proper way to do pumps and all that jazz (im going to figure all that stuff out later when i build my loop).

but definatly man... drop the ram and hd coolers.

Well, My main objective on building this pc is to "learn". I know it sounds cheesy, but I am really trying to just do as much as I can with this rig to kind of get a handle on water cooling.
So I'm cooling as much as possible

Meatshake said:
Well, My main objective on building this pc is to "learn".
HD.ram and chipset water cooling will have about as much effect as water cooling the ON/OFF power button on your case.

No, a rad can not get the water down to ambient temp.

I have no idea what your loop will be, but even with all the rads you have there won't be enough cooling for just that pelt. Pelts produce massive amounts of heat an require special power supplies (adjustable out put power supplies are best, as pelts have different efficiencies under different loads.)

As for pumps in series, if a pump will put out 10 psi, and there is an input pressure of 4 psi, the the pump will output 14 psi.
http://www.pumpworld.com/parallel_pumping_identical.htm

I doubt you'll ever see over 2 psi in a WC loop though.

"Best" order of parts: Rez > T-line > pump > Rad > CPU > GPU(s) >.
The rad "sees" the warmest water, and the CPU the coolest. The larger the difference between the ambient air temp and the temp of the water in the rad, the faster the heat will be removed from the water. But, the delta t between rad inlet and rad outlet will only be 1/4- 1/2*c, so order is not really very important.

The DD GPU full cover (ie GPU and memory) blocks are very difficult to get a good mount with. It's better to use just GPU only block(s) and then put ramsinks on the memory.

"If the radiators can only get the water up to ambient room temp"...Typo? Rads lower water temps.

Back