• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer locks up in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paladine

Registered
Hope the Guru's here can once again help me. HELP ME PLEASE

Issue: In Games (only, never windows itself) the system will get into a sound loop or video flicker loop and lock up completely. CTRL+ALT+DEL isn't even a possibility, must use reset button. The system just seems to hang/lock up in games like City of Heros, City of Villains, NFS:Most Wanted, Half-Life2.

SYSTEM (initallly)
AMD X2 3800+ CPU (not being overclocked)
EVGA 133-K8-NF41-AX Motherboard
EVGA nvidia 7800 GT PCIe Video Card (Not overclocked)
Creative SBAudigy2 Value Sound Card
10K 74 GB Raptor SATA
80GB WD SATA drive
LG DVD/RW DL Drive

Steps Taken
1.System was running perfectly fine, then after several weeks of not playing NFS I tried to play it, and it wouldn't run period. Ok, something strange happened, I will uninstall and reinstall it. When I tried to reinstal it, the installer kept saying DX 9.0c not installed, but it was. <-- 4 weeks ago

2.Then a new COH/COV game patch came out, installed this and the game began locking up. To the point of 4 to 5 times per 30 mins. Annoying. <--2 weeks ago

3.Tried to play Jedi Academy, and it ran like I was on Amphetamines (Speed), so it was unplayable. <-- 2 weeks ago

** Was running 84.21 Nvidia Drivers

4. Installed the latest nvidia 91.47 drivers. Same issues existed, and were seemingly magnified.

5. Installed latest sound/audio and on-board nForce4 dirvers Same results. :mad:

6. Formatted system, and reinstalled Windows XP SP2. Windows and all other programs run flawlessly. Tried COH/COV, Half-life2, NFS, and was able to play about 10 to 15 mins before it locked up. <--- Using EVGA shipped drivers (74.21) :mad:

7/ Used Driver Cleaner, and removed old drivers, and installed the latest and greastest for all. Able to play about 15 to 30 mins before I locked up. :mad: :mad:

8. At this point I was thinking it ws the motherboard. Purchased Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe Board , with all other hardware remaining the same. <--- Used ASUS shipped Drivers Results were the same, but slightly more stable.. NFS now was playable, but had severe screen flicker in menu and load screens. I didn't try the other games, because they take forever to install. :mad: :mad: :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

9. Not sure what to try next?
Is it the Video Card, since this only occurs in games??
Is it the SOUND Card, since this only occurs in games and I get a definite sound loop when I lock up??

I was thinking of swapping my Audigy2 Gamer-X sound card from another system into this system and see if it changes things? (other system is in the sig below, and runs COH/COV no problem)

Thoughts....anyone?

What power supply do you have? My bet is videocard is the issue or bad power supply.

fabulouscoops said:
You did not list memory. Are you using "Value" RAM or something of higher quality? Have you memtested the RAM?

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. One of your Ram migh tbe burnt out. Or just not working too well.

Have you recently overclocked?

Sounds like an unstable system to me. Check RAM timings and Volts as well as speed.

Update: I tried using the Onboard sound with the new ASUS board, same issues.

Powersupply is an Enermax 565P-VE, RAM is OCZ PC3200 Platinum Edition Rev2.0 And their are not other issues outside of these games....and now 3dMark2006:bang head

Something I did try. Ran 3DMark06 and on this system in question the first two tests were sluggish (at default settings) and the first test had colored speckles like snow on a rabbit ear antenna TV appearing. The second test looked like I was entering Hyperspace in Star Trek. The center of the screen was all messed up, with a starburst (like warpspeed) view coming out of the center of the screen.

I ran the exact same 3DMark settings on my other system, 6800GT card and it ran fine, none of these artifacts appeared, and it was reasonably non-sluggish.

Both systems are running 91.47 nvidia drivers.

Thinking Video card now!!

Back