• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggest the rest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boris_37

Okay i'm picking out parts for my conroe now. I picked out an E6400 i guess since it's the best deal i'm gonna get in canada.

I have a fortron 500w Blue Storm power supply as my other piece.

I pretty much need a suggestion for Case, Mobo, Ram, and Vid card(for mild-good OC) that doesn't bust my wallet. Although i'm not too concerned about price i don't want to spend too much i'm not a hardcore gamer but i hope to play some of the more recent games coming out.

all of this will be coming from http://www.memoryexpress.com as they are probably one of the best in canada and are local :D. So suggest away, i'm new to intel and i really have no clue about video cards.

oh and onboard sound isn't important as i have a sound card to throw in.

and i was looking to some mushkin ram unless someone has a better suggestion :S

The motherboard depends on your budget. I find that the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 is a fine board and overclocks the Allendales (Core 2 - 2MB Cache) best. I have moved from ASUS because of startup/shutdown issues that I have found to be prevalent on both AMD and Intel platforms. It is nice to choose restart and actually have the machine do a restart. Highly clocked ASUS boards are often unable to restart and one must choose shutdown and manually turn the system back on.

I have found the Corsair to be fine dram and along with the lifetime warranty I have used the online RMA process a few times with excellent results. Keep in mind that good 667MHz dram can make the 800MHz grade with some able to make even higher with a bit of extra Vdimm.

I have taken this dram:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=8741&SID=

to 815MHz at 4 - 4 - 4 - 12 (2.1V) with absolutely no issues.

I have no experience with Mushkin RMA but I have found their DRAM to be first rate.

Mobo - Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi (Best FSB'ing board so far, that I've seen)
Ram - Either the Gskill DDR2-800 or the Team Group DDR2 Extreme Modules. I had the gskills and they did wonders for me at stock timings all the way up to 1000 mhz.

Vid- I would personally wait one more month or so. We have some really sick cards coming out for the holidays.

Welcome to the club bro.

eh i dont mind the P5B Deluxe, but does it have to be the wifi one? I don't want to pay $260 for a board... will the regular deluxe work fine?

Also G-skill and teamgroup is not an option. As per the website, it's mushkin, ocz, kingston or... uh corsair. DDR800 is also kinda fast. Keep in mind even after the price conversion i will still pay a bunch more for my parts then you, and being a college student money doesn't grow on trees... lol

Hows the DS3 in comparison? It's $179 and IMO much more reasonably priced... will it work fine? I don't plan on going any wicked cooling or setting any OC'ing records..

Back