• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD Sempron Socket 754

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HippyRay

Sad To Say I Have Been A COmputer Technician For OVer 5 Years I Have Built Em All, Socket 7,Slot 1,Slot 2,Sockets 370,462,478,754,775 And Neve Have I Ever Overclocked Anything That Could Be

I Am Running A Pretty Laim Machine For Now AMD Sempron 2800 Socket 754 MSI K* Motherboard 1 GB Ram Windozw Xp Home, 100 GB Hard Drive
I Was Just Wondering If I Can Overclock The CPU And Should I Do It In The Bios Or Use A Software Application To Do It???? Thanks For Any Input:attn: :attn: :thup: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I would say in the BIOS. Thats pretty much the standard answer you will hear from anyone here from my experience. Some of the senior members will surley reply to this but i recomend the BIOS. There are guys here that know alot more than me about what exact motherboard you have etc... But I would say do it in the BIOS.

In the BIOS, you would need to adjust only your FSB, Multiplier, and voltage for oc'ing a Sempron I believe. Don't jump ahead, but try steadily increasing the FSB @ 5Mhz increments.

I would recommend using the Bios as well....re-starting after each bump in settings may seem rather tedious but it only takes a few minutes to get the o/c'ing cranked up pretty good. Also, I have read several posts where using the Clockgen software actually caused Windows to get corrupted...how, I don't know.
When I began my o/c'ing on this rig I started using Clockgen but after reading the posts about having to re-install Windows, I decided just to use Bios.
Good luck...
Oh ,btw....can we assume that you have good cooling thru your case...a good stock cpu cooler or an aftermarket cooler....latest Bios update...decent ram...etc....??

FWIW....my stock cooler on this cpu was actually not too shabby...my o/c'led temps with Prime95 peaked at 54 c. ...certainly not as cool as a good aftermarket cooler, but well within safe temps for the chip. I replaced it with the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro...works good....

Back