• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on setting up RAID 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andylihaha

I am having problems on setting up my first raid (two seagate 7200.10 320gb)

my mobo is asus p5ld2

i have no problem creating the raid from the intel matrix storage manager in bios. but the problem is that the raid would not boot after the winddows xp installation's first reboot. i have tried also installed on only one drive without raid, it then installed fine until the windows tried to boot, then it reboots itself at the windows logo. but i could boot to safe mode fine, just not normal mode. (this is weird) the same thing happened to the other drive. it seemed like when i turn on raid, the hard drives won't boot; in standard ide mode, everything is fine.

so, i am stuck now. does any of you guys here have any ideas?

edit: my old hard drive would not work either when raid is turned on. it also reboots when the windows logo appears.

Thanks for reading
andy

Are you sure you're using the correct drivers for the RAID/SATA controller? Are there separate IDE/RAID drivers for the controller and you're installing the wrong ones?

tuskenraider said:
Are you sure you're using the correct drivers for the RAID/SATA controller? Are there separate IDE/RAID drivers for the controller and you're installing the wrong ones?

so the wrong drivers would casue this problem? but i thought it would not install if its not the right one? for the drivers, i integrated it into the windows setup disc.

i will check my drivers, i think i will just try to integrate all the raid drivers from my mobo disc into the setup cd.

thanks for your reply.
andy

so the wrong drivers would casue this problem? but i thought it would not install if its not the right one?
Drivers definately could cause this and I've had BSOD's after the black "Windows" screen by having the IDE drivers installed for my controller and then using a RAID setup on that controller. This would happen when I switch SATA/RAID controllers on my mobo as I have two and one needs SATA drivers, the other doesn't. Both need RAID drivers.

tuskenraider said:
Drivers definately could cause this and I've had BSOD's after the black "Windows" screen by having the IDE drivers installed for my controller and then using a RAID setup on that controller. This would happen when I switch SATA/RAID controllers on my mobo as I have two and one needs SATA drivers, the other doesn't. Both need RAID drivers.

i see. and thanks, that helps me alot
now i m burning the new setup cd. (since i have no floppy drive, i have to do it this way.)

andy

btw, is it ok that i just let the setup search for the right drivers? will it eventually get it right itself? (assume i have the right driver in the cd)

tuskenraider said:
Yep, but you've probably discovered that by now.

yup
but that was a little tricky for me
i checked the instructions on how to integrate the matrix raid drivers into the setup cd correctly.
i had to add a few lines into the winnt.sif file in the i386 folder and copy the six drivers files extracted from the matrix storage manager setup into the same folder.
wit that cd, windows setup went thru smoothly, and the most important thing is that windows boots normally now. :)

thank you for pointing me to the solution:p
andy

Back