• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to go dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

Ever since we got our dual core laptop, I've been thinking of upgrading my rig to DC. At first, I just thought of the X2's, but I remembered there are the FX chips as well - which begs the question: Which is best for, among other things, gaming? I've considered this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546

I've also seen a couple things here where questions were asked about a dual core fix for XP and some kind of patch. I guess it couldn't be simple, could it? Just digging my current chip out from under my BT is gonna be hard enough because I gotta take the board out to remove BT. I need to find a way around that...

Also, when installing a new cpu, isn't it necessary to clear BIOS first so the system doesn't have a problem? I tried replacing my wife's P4 2.8 with my P4 3.2 once, and it flat out didn't work - couldn't even power it up. But I didn't reset bios either - I've been thinking that was the issue in that case.

So, what exactly will be involved in making the switch?

Back