• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Msi k7d (bios/multi)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

I'm looking to get my dually a little more cpu power (i use this machine for data compilation to free up my main rig for personal use, sometimes it can take up to 6 hours to compile one days worth of work)
The problem is it was down for a while, unstable because of the usb (i think) and i got nothing compiled- and now i'm backed up.

So, i'm trying to squeeze a little more out. The FSB is down to 133 (and higher and my dvd burners get mad) but the multi seems to be capped in the bios at 12.5.

Being 2x2500 mobile bartons, they can do alot better than 12.5x133, but the board simply cant push them (cooled my sp-97's!) because of the lack of pci lock and limited multi's.

One person in IRC said this board will allow higher multis if i upgrade to the 1.6 bios- but i have the 1.9, which is the latest... which makes me think its a crock. (that, and on the msi page it goes from 1.5 to 1.8 bios versons)

I'm looking for ways to get more multi without doing a pinmod. Primarily because this machine does not run where i do my work, and most everything i do on it is thru remote desktop- and where it is makes it very hard to do hardware modifications like this. Lets just say its taken me two months to pull the failed dvd burner from it and get the RMA sent out.

If anyone has information about that 1.6 bios, or other possible ideas (even if i do take it home, pulling out a pair of sp-97's to do a wire mod is a whole lot of work for this) i'd love to hear it- i need a little more cpu speed to get cought up on my compilations, and i simply do not have the money for a more powerful rig.

Back