• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMI Ring Filter???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have hundreds of those all over the place and have yet to find a use for them. :shrug:

They're just made to stop EM radiation(mostly RF) from leaking off wires and affecting other sensitive things nearby... I think... something like that... ya.

I don't bother with them since they're no match when put up against 16 gauge, de magnetized steel hex-mesh. :D

That looks like a Ferrite ring. All EM energy beyond the ring's passband (freq cut off limit) is converted to heat. It is quite a useful device when temperature sensitivity is not an issue. You can cut off most of the annoying 60 Hz pickup.

... wait... should I stick one of those on my speaker output....

or the powercord?

maybe I'm looking for a line noise filter...

*walks off mumbling whimsical semicoherrent nonsense*

Maviryk said:
... wait... should I stick one of those on my speaker
output....
or the powercord?
maybe I'm looking for a line noise filter...
You stick it to Analogue or DC cables to drown out interference and convert it to heat.

I have no use for them, but if you have any dirty EMI in the air they will help.

Definately helpful if you have lots of AV stuff next to a transformer... damn the guy who designed my school was a fool... the main transformer is RIGHT next to a Computer lab.

A line noise device is a filter, the ferrite ring is a passive quasi-shielding device. A line noise filter is usually an isolation transformer with possibly an active filter combination.

You just slip the ferrite ring over the power cable and you are good to go.

Things that make my z5500 buzz...

Refridgerator compressor start-up
Dishwasher
Washer
Flourescent Lightbulbs
Projector...

Time for a Haiku
Roundish EMI Filter
Silence my speakers

Just do what I do. Dont use lights, tvs, radios, just leave the only thing on within 100 feet of your computer the computer itself.

freakdiablo said:
Just do what I do. Dont use lights, tvs, radios, just leave the only thing on within 100 feet of your computer the computer itself.

Every component in your computer has to be certified and abide by FCC EMI/EMC (Electromagnetic interference/compatability) emission/suseptibility regulations. The gist of which necessitates tolerence to common low frequency RF sources. So, you don't have to turn off your lights etc.

Super Nade said:
Every component in your computer has to be certified and abide by FCC EMI/EMC (Electromagnetic interference/compatability) emission/suseptibility regulations. The gist of which necessitates tolerence to common low frequency RF sources. So, you don't have to turn off your lights etc.
I know, but I like doing it anyway. Looks more bad A$$ when playing fear at max volume with a couple of those sound activated cold cathodes :p

Back