• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD News: 4 New Sockets In The Next 2 Years, INTEL To Copy AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seen stuff about one bit or another of this around in a few places. I don't understand how Intel putting Hyperthreading in a future CPU is copying AMD though when Intel invented hyperthreading? :shrug:

as for HT, it is HyperTransport, not hyperthreading...

as for the new sockets, there are some things i believe are wrong with that article, for instance:

AM2+ is HT3.0
AM3 is for DDR3, and 939pin(they can't allow AM2/+ cpu's to work in AM3 because they don't have DDR3 memory controllers)

also, i don't think they are Barcelona, or city names in general anymore, they are Stars names

*scratches head* man so much for keeping 1 socket for at least a little while.

Sounds like an intresting run though expecially whats coming in 08 for both parties.

Thats what I have been saying for months that there will be manny new sockets out in the next year so dont hype up am2 to being so future proof

there's really only 1 new socket, and that's sAM3

sAM2+ is just sAM2 with a chipset that runs HT3.0 and has split plane power
sAM3 brings DDR3 and sAM3 cpu's will work in sAM2 and sAM2+, but sAM2 cpu's will not work in sAM3

sAM2 cpu's will work in sAM2+, sAM2+ cpu's will work in sAM2, it's just either of these combonations limits you

it's really just a new chipset, like going from nforce4 to nforce4sli, or nforce2 to nforce2ultra...

again, AM3 is the new socket, and I believe the "Stars" cpu's(Agena, etc.) to be released on AM2+ will be AM3 compatible, meaning they have 939 pins and a DDR3 memorycontroller that's backwards compatible for DDR2(which is what it'll be launched with)

so:
sAM2 cpu's work in sAM2+(no HT3.0, no split power planes)
sAM2+ cpu's work in sAM2(again, no HT3.0, no split power planes)
sAM3 cpu's work in sAM2(no ddr3, no HT3.0, no split power planes)
sAM3 cpu's work in sAM2+(no ddr3)

oh, and sAM3 won't be here till Q4'08 at earliest, as that's when DDR3 is expected at earliest...and to recap, AM2+ is just a new chipset, AM2 and AM2+ are identical except that chipset, and again, are backward and forward compatible with each other...

welcome to the intel world. And Hyperthreading is dead, it was meant to work like dual core. With dual core there is no need for it anymore.

dicecca112 said:
welcome to the intel world. And Hyperthreading is dead, it was meant to work like dual core. With dual core there is no need for it anymore.
Read post 3, Oops!

*The following is my opinion.
What I see is Intel continuing to cream AMD if they don't jump right AM3 sooner.
This is how I see it.
Go to 65nm on AM2.
Bump the line to faster procs in the next 4 quarters.
Go to 45nm and AM3 (1207+ pin FPGA).
Go for four cores.

Barcelona may not work in an AM2 due to power limitations or it might but forget OCing it.

If this can't be done, then that 13,000 pin Intel in 08 looks a lot sweeter!

INTLE's Front Side Bus is also ending in 2008 I think hmm wonder what they have up there sleeve.

Looks like I'll be waiting for AM2+... That's our next big jump. I feel sorry for those who already went to AM2. All those folks got was expensive DDR2 and even more RAM bandwidth that realistically can't be used... and when AM2+ comes your cpus will work, but why upgrade your board when you get no true performance increase, doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Long Live good ole' 939! :beer:

harlam357 said:
Looks like I'll be waiting for AM2+... That's our next big jump. I feel sorry for those who already went to AM2. All those folks got was expensive DDR2 and even more RAM bandwidth that realistically can't be used... and when AM2+ comes your cpus will work, but why upgrade your board when you get no true performance increase, doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

I will :beer: to that

||Console|| said:
I will :beer: to that

same here. my DDR 440 works wonders for me. no need for ddr2.

but ddr3 does sound tasty. i just hope this stuff roles around before summer. otherwise ill be getting a conroe.

harlam357 said:

Ooo that hurt :p
It all makes sense when you are the one looking at revenue and a 775 pound gorilla is stealing your bananas!

whats the deal with with the Cerberus? And why do you need new pins for integrated PCIe? what IS PCIe? sorry for the questions, but I thought PCIe WAS integrated, or does that means that the cpu is going to be optimized for possibly faster PCIe speeds?

Back