• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First upgrade in over 3 years...how things have changed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edesign

Registered
First...since this is my first post here I'd just like to say hello to everyone, been lurking for the past week or so and have noticed this seems to be a good forum :) One member in particular sticks out, AlabamaCajun, since I live in south central LA (Louisiana, not Los Angeles ;))...and he seems pretty knowledgeable along with a lot of other people here.

Anyway...this is my first upgrade in 3 years, I am currently running a stock Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 1.8GHz on an Abit NF7 (nForce 2 Ultra baby! lol) with a gig of PC2700 RAM (regular ol Kingston), some kind of used Asus 64Mb AGP video card I bought from a friend a while back dirt cheap, and a generic little power supply (no clue on power...300W I think). Now...this is basically a dinosaur but it works for web surfing and the occasional game with graphics turned low to medium depending on when it came out (NFSU part 1 I can play with graphics turned almost on high). Thanks to finally landing a decent paying job I've been able to buy some toys lately (9mm Beretta PX4, a 19" Samsung LCD for myself and a 17" for my gf, amongst other minor things) and after pretending to be an information sponge the last week and a half or so I ordered a new rig from Newegg. Oh how things have changed since the days of yore! lol

Ok, enough rambling (i do that a lot)...aside from a quickie system I built for my sister last August (Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo socket 754 and an Abit NV8 mb) who doesn't game at all, I was completely out of the loop on new technology aside from a passing mention of dual cores here and there lol. I knew SATA was the new connection for HD's and all as well as PCIe for video cards but that was it. After educating myself and reading god knows how many reviews (I see benchmarks in my dreams) I ordered the following and was wondering if anyone had any comments/critiques about it. I know it is kinda late since i already ordered but all seemed good to me.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX - Retail

ABIT KN9 ULTRA Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail $40 MIR

POWERCOLOR X1950 PRO Extreme 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Extreme Edition Video Card With AC Cooling - Retail $30 MIR

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 600W Power Supply - Retail $30 MIR

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$896 was my total before shipping and I have $100 worth of MIR's...now i just hope I don't get screwed on them, I don't trust mail-ins too much so I don't usually let them influence my choices but figured I'd give em a whirl this time lol.

I don't plan on doing much web surfing with this computer, going to try and use it solely for playing games and watching videos (been dying to play Lock-On: Modern Air Combat with decent graphics since I bought it two years ago...). I'll use my current rig to burn cd's and do most of my browsing I HOPE!

Anyway...I would like to do some mild OC'ing with this sytem since I know Intel has the upper hand at the moment. I had to make a hard choice between AMD and Intel but my last two (three if you include my sister's) builds have been AMD and they have served me well. I realize that with the odd multiplier (i think that's the term) my DDR2 800 RAM isn't going to actually be running at 800MHz but I don't see that being a problem. I don't plan on adding any fancy coolers, basically keep it as it is and maybe boost it up to 2.5Ghz if possible.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, I was a project engineer/manager for a Caterpillar dealer in their EPG (electric power generation) department which means working with generators producing 20kW up to 2000kW (2MW), and just last week they put me as an electrical engineer for the marine division doing custom schematics for sea-going vessels. What I'm trying to say is...i'm not put off my technical jargon and I do have an affinity for electronics which I guess would explain my curiousity about OC'ing.

Sorry for the long post, especially as my first one but I just like to be thorough (sp?) when I post to try and keep unneeded follow up q's to a minimum. That and I'm a lil sleep deprived, I took two benadryl's earlier, and it's late :D

So...anything I should know upfront...besides that OC'ing can be habit forming? lol I've read some of the stickies in this forum about OC'ing and have as good of a grasp as I'm going to get until I can put my hands on the hardware.

Thanks!

:welcome:

You will find a lot of info on here and people are willing to help you out. I myself can't give you solid advise but why not get the 4600+ windsor instead for a few more bucks like 20.00? I know that you are in the right path with the ram i personally am using the corsair xms 184pin ran and love it so far.(FAST)

Goodluck with the build.

:)

thanks for the welcome

it's $45 more at newegg actually...Brisbane 4000 was $145, the Windsor 4600 is $185. I chose the Brisbane because A) I was already $30 over my budget for the CPU with the Brisbane, B) for $190 I would have gone with the Intel C2D and tried them since i have not run intel before, C) the Intel's appear to OC on stock cooling very well also. That and the slightly lower power consumption with the Brisbane being 65nm (had originally chosen the ADO version of the Windsor 3800). No real major reason why i chose the Brisbane over the Windsor other than for the same price I could have gone Intel and probably received a bit better performance...and of course past experience with AMD has been nothing but good! :)

stupid.jpg

Your choices all seem good.

Glad to see someone with some product loyality around here. I am in the same boat, AMD has been good to me since my K6-2, my A64 3000+ was a beast and OCed 643MHz on stock air, and when I get my X2 water cooled, I am going to make this puppy sweat.

AMD might not be the leader right now, but give it time. Also, the AM2 socket will last longer than the current 775 socket. Appearantly most 775 mobos cant take the newest Intel chips, or something like that.

Get the parts, put them together, get familure with your BIOS, and then start looking into OCing.

edesign said:
thanks for the welcome

it's $45 more at newegg actually...Brisbane 4000 was $145, the Windsor 4600 is $185. I chose the Brisbane because A) I was already $30 over my budget for the CPU with the Brisbane, B) for $190 I would have gone with the Intel C2D and tried them since i have not run intel before, C) the Intel's appear to OC on stock cooling very well also. That and the slightly lower power consumption with the Brisbane being 65nm (had originally chosen the ADO version of the Windsor 3800). No real major reason why i chose the Brisbane over the Windsor other than for the same price I could have gone Intel and probably received a bit better performance...and of course past experience with AMD has been nothing but good! :)

got you. i switched from intel to amd for the first time and love it so far. much faster then my 1.5ghz single core.

I am building myself a similar rig atm only I had to go with the 3800+ 65 Watt version instead of the 3600+ or 4000+ since my country apparently doesn't believe in up to date processor offers:bang head (ironically now that I've ordered and cannot renege, they have started listing 65nm AMD processors:bang head)

What I did wonder a bit about though was your PSU. As I was looking into buying one I was warned away from Cooler Master PSUs so I stayed away from them. I hope it turns out well for you though.

Cooler Master Power Supplies aren't dangerous, they just don't output the power that they are rated for. There are better PSU choices for sure, but it should be fine with his build.

i had originally chosen a 450W FSP Group power supply...would that have been a better choice?

http://directron.com/ax450pn.html (i use directron sometimes if they're cheap enough because I get stuff delivered overnight at the same price as UPS red since they're in Houston and I'm only a couple hundred miles away :))

or

http://directron.com/fsp40060thnr.html

I can order it today and have it by Friday when the rest of my stuff comes in probably if anyone thinks the Cooler Master is too underrated. Mfr specs seem ok (same as the AX450-PN from FSP) but I know you can't always trust them. Are Cooler Masters reliable in the long term or do they have a habit of crapping out after a year or so? I read some reviews but without having anything to measure the ripple in the output voltage (amongst other things) it's kind of hard to decide which reviews to trust...

Yea, you would be better off with a single 12V rail with good amperage. We are talking 40+ amps on the 12v rail. The FSP Group have 3 or 4 rails at low amperage. Look at PC Power and Cooling and Zippy, I am sure there are others.

Not sure how I didn't do any research in the PSU forum here before purchasing ... think I'm going to do some checking on PSU prices @ Directron and order something else, especially if I've gotta wait a couple months for the rebate.

Immortal...I thought that dual rails were better for noise suppression amongst other things?

For $50, this is a great PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005

For $67 + shipping, this is a better PSU:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_u...9ijNMFnZk--mMW7ywL1qptAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en

If you really want a great power supply, this is one of the better ones that is still affordable:
http://deadeyedata.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_33_36_41&products_id=103

As far as the multi vs single rail debate, a single rail PSU is usually preferable with multi-rail psus you risk maxing out the power on one of the rails when your PSU on the whole still has more power to give. This can be a problem when you have something with monstrous 12V demands like an 8800GTX or a Pentium D.

thanks everyone...sorry this got steered in to a PSU thread in the CPU forum :p But since we're on the topic already...and I'm at work for another 40 minutes or so and then have to do the whole valentine's day dinner thing, anyone know much about Scythe PSU's? I had read a few months ago that they were pretty strong but not the cleanest output (although plenty usable) and are popular in Japan. The specs look good on them too and the few reviews I've managed to find seemed to confirm that...but I don't know anyone who has actually used one and I'm not always one to trust Newegg reviews ;)

Looks like I'm gonna have to do some homework tonight and order early tomorrow.

:welcome: Thanks for the bump.

I think the parts are a good. As for the cooler master PSU, I have the FSP450 running my 4600 89W with TI X850 Video and its cool and solid. I have a "Hotter" Master 450 that is a good psu but it is running a hot on a Opteron and a cheap video card. I will say the CM is a good supply but like funnyperson1 said they are ok but a little overrated. Your total draw will be around 150 watts leaving you a good reserve. My 3600 is now on a FSP-300Watt, with onboard video and 1 drive oced to 2.65+. I would have gone with the 4000 but I wanted a CPU as cheap as rice so I went with the 3600. The 4000 is great because it starts on the 10.5 multi meaning you won't have to push the multi as hard to get it up there. At HTT 250 you will already be at 2650, I have to reach 275HTT to get there.
I never lived in L.A. but I grew in the River Parishes (near a Catterpiller Plant "Holt") then St. Tammany now I'm in Lower Alabama. :D I would have used AlabamaCoonAs5 but the filters would have kicked it out.

Good luck, good to have you with us!

:welcome: to ColdWinter also!

Last edited:
Ha...funny you should mention Holt ;) I work for Louisiana Machinery (Louisiana Cat dealer) and my new technical/engineering boss used to work at Holt.

If any of the mods read this thread and move it to the PSU forum I understand...I don't know how strict this forum is. Another forum I frequent (tarantulas and other invertebrates) tries hard to keep posts in the right forums and I like that, I just don't want to start a new thread.

I was doing some calculating for my required power and frankly, I don't see where I would need to swap out the Cooler Master either unless the output voltage is pretty nasty looking on an o-scope (and I am not going to be running an SLI configuration). I'm still a bit unsure as to what hardware runs on which voltages (CPU on 12V...GPU too I think) but I'm sure I can find that out with some researching. I'll try it out over the weekend and see how she does, I'm just curious about long term reliability with the PSU.

oh...what's ColdWinter? *scratches head* Did I miss something? lol

Last edited:
edesign said:
Ha...funny you should mention Holt ;) I work for Louisiana Machinery (Louisiana Cat dealer) and my new technical/engineering boss used to work at Holt.

If any of the mods read this thread and move it to the PSU forum I understand...I don't know how strict this forum is. Another forum I frequent (tarantulas and other invertebrates) tries hard to keep posts in the right forums and I like that, I just don't want to start a new thread.

I was doing some calculating for my required power and frankly, I don't see where I would need to swap out the Cooler Master either unless the output voltage is pretty nasty looking on an o-scope (and I am not going to be running an SLI configuration). I'm still a bit unsure as to what hardware runs on which voltages (CPU on 12V...GPU too I think) but I'm sure I can find that out with some researching. I'll try it out over the weekend and see how she does, I'm just curious about long term reliability with the PSU.

oh...what's ColdWinter? *scratches head* Did I miss something? lol
ColdWinter is also a new member (reply #6).

Ill be sure to mention AMD cpu in my replys but the mods won't move a thread is about powering an AMD cpu. What has happened in both AMD and Intel is that power usage went from the 5V rails to the 12V rails. CPUs pull so much current that they needed the steep voltage push on the regulators to supply the amount of current (about 60-90 amps at 1.35V) these beasts eat. The newer 65w units are better at sipping juice then the earlier 90-125Watters of the late P4 and XP era. A lot of PSU makers still have low 12V rails causing problems with OCing. On 65W cpus, you need 15-18A for dual rail PSU's and 25-30 on single rails. The big push to dual rails was "supposedly" as safety concern with 30+ amps from a 12V source.

I've been meaning to scope my PSU and regulator outputs just to see how much noise old and new chips create.

Back to CPUs, Opterons were the rage last year as being super clockers. I think this year the Brisbanes might make a show as good clockers.

I'm in the same boat though my upgrade path has not gone well. I bought an A64 3000+ that got lost in the mail then a new A64 3200+ from newegg that arrived damaged. My Shuttle SN95G5V3 refused to POST and had to be returned so I've given up for now. I'll stick with my SN45Gv2 and Barton 2500+ for right now until I get a grasp on this A64 stuff.

Gillbot said:
I'm in the same boat though my upgrade path has not gone well. I bought an A64 3000+ that got lost in the mail then a new A64 3200+ from newegg that arrived damaged. My Shuttle SN95G5V3 refused to POST and had to be returned so I've given up for now. I'll stick with my SN45Gv2 and Barton 2500+ for right now until I get a grasp on this A64 stuff.

Don't give up :) I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

I got another setup on the horizon, hopefully this one will work out better.

I've had bad luck with shuttle lately. Their QC is in the dumps and their support is severely lacking. I've decided to abandon them and just go with a home built SFF based on a simple mATX case like the microfly.

Back