• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coolermaster mars cooling unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkizzy

Hey I'm using a CoolerMaster Mars Cooling Unit. I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm running at 3.0 ghz atm and about to go up. But I wanted to know if anyone else has this unit and what you think of it

how about some specs here.. so we know what components your using and how many volts you got running thru it.

spec can be found here http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...product&p_serial=RR-CCX-W9U1-GP&other_title=0

69fb6fdfdf6855371503f91412da2984.jpg

16158abbe7c415f0a2e3dd7ed03d6488.jpg

How much better is than the stock cooling?

specs

I'm running an asus p5w dh deluxe with ocz ati certified dual channel 2 gb pc-6400 mem. My cpu is a conroe 6600 and my psu is an ocz game x stream 700 watt.i'm going to run crossfire x1600 pro's but I only have one in atm. Anything else you'd like to know let me know, I'm still running at 3.0 ghz with 5-5-5-15 timings and passed the memtest86 but I cannot pass the orthos test right now I get an error message not even 2 minutes into it. The only thing I changed with the cooling unit was to run it at 3000 rpms.

Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 1791 Time: 15
CPU: 3009MHz FSB: 334MHz [334MHz x 9.0 est.]
CPU: 3009MHz FSB: 334MHz [334MHz x 9.0 est.]
11/23/2006 6:32 AM
Launching 2 threads...
Using CPU #0
Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.
Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4609375, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test ran 0 minutes 23 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

yea, i sent you that PM to more explain on how volts work.

but go into your bios and up those volts to.... 1.4? just to see if it works. if not. put it up to 1.45. but keep in mind your temperatures. but its always better to go in increments. the lower the volts, the better. just don't go above 1.55. i think thats the Absolute max i would ever go on air cooling.

(btw, in my PM i said prime95. but orthos and prime95 = same thing if you didn't know)

yo

in the TAT test I didn't exceed 56c after 30 min of running it

conclusion

I'm disappointed to report that this thing isn't really good enough for some solid overclocking, even though im not overheating at 3.0 ghz it might explain why I wasn't able to keep orthos stable at stock vcore setting. I'm not going to play around and lowered it to 2.7 ghz for now, it is capable of a brief overclocking of like 300-400 mhz though. Oh well I ordered a tuniq 120 and a noctua nh-12 and will decide somehow which one to go with when they arrive. if you're looking for stock cooling solution and non-extreme overclocking then this cooling unit is still very cool to have.

Review explaining why its not good for extreme ocing:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Coolermaster_Mars/index.shtml

yea, 56c load on stock volts is kinda bad. my big typhoon performs a hella lot better. at stock it pulled off 45 load. at 1.45 it pulled off 53c. and a tuniq tower should be even better.

Back